I have volunteer pumpkins

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

These volunteers are from the pumpkins I had on my front porch for Halloween that my 4 year old grandson Jaylen stepped on.

Attachments

• gardening009.JPG
    gardening009.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 270
  • gardening010.JPG
    gardening010.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 295
  • gardening001.JPG
    gardening001.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 288
  • gardening002.JPG
    gardening002.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 268

Kya D

Yeah Jaylen!!!!!!!!
You go son. you did a great job helping Grandma plant the garden

Dor

Dawn these are in my front flower bed surrounded by my cement front porch. I need to get some hay so the pumpkins will have something soft to lay on. I have seen 4 already and the bees were on the flowers this morning. So I am expected more.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I will have some volunteers also as I had about 30 pumpkins left in the garden. Some were going to go south, but we could never get 'cheap' transportation arranged.

Dor

My first pumpkin

Here's my first pumpkin. My vines are overtaking the front walkway so much that I will have to cut them back soon.

Attachments

• gardening003.JPG
    gardening003.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 289

Alan in Vermont

I was thinking how it was really early to be forming fruit on pumpkin vines, then I noticed where you are located,, DUH! The volunteer cucurbits I'm dealing with are Jack-B-Little pumpkins and small decorative gourds. The nasty buggers are taking over quite a patch of ground. I thought about dumping then, en masse, over the bank last fall, now I wish I had. Worst thing is that there are way more seeds sprouting where I planted cantalopes than there were seeds planted. I'll have to wait until the second leaves form so I can the good from the bad. The masses of them that are popping up elsewhere are about to meet the kiss of death.

Dor

I was thinking how it was really early to be forming fruit on pumpkin vines, then I noticed where you are located,, DUH! The volunteer cucurbits I'm dealing with are Jack-B-Little pumpkins and small decorative gourds. The nasty buggers are taking over quite a patch of ground. I thought about dumping then, en masse, over the bank last fall, now I wish I had. Worst thing is that there are way more seeds sprouting where I planted cantalopes than there were seeds planted. I'll have to wait until the second leaves form so I can the good from the bad. The masses of them that are popping up elsewhere are about to meet the kiss of death.

Yes, here in Texas we have a very early and a very long growing season but the down side is that we have the hot summer.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
They aren't showing yet, but I will have many volunteers. Last year I wanted to put stakes into the ground so I would know where to water, but the vines were so dense that I couldn't locate the root area of a couple of the hills. This year, I am going to drive a steel post in the center of each hill and that will locate the seeding area and also indicate where to concentrate watering once the vines cover everything up.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the volunteers! I always let them grow where they come up as that must be the perfect place;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the rest of my garden planted yesterday while it wasn't raining. The sky was overcast but I started working on the garden as soon as I got home from the nursing home and finished a little before I had to leave for a meeting. I'm a bit sore today, but that will pass.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com