I made a boo boo!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

Yesterday I placed an order for most of my garden seeds and plants and I watched the zones close so I would not get anything I could not grow here...or so i thoght!
Turns out I ordered a ginger root and it is hardy to zone 9-10 and I am a zone 5! So I need the help of all you great garden minds. How will I be able to grow this plant and keep it healthy in my zone...any ideas of things I could try...get creative if ya want..lol And if not then I guess it will be put on the plant exchange, but it would be a shame to give it up if there is any way possible to maybe make a false "habitat" for it.

blesings,
RR

sunflower3

How about planting it in a pot and keeping it outside in summer and bring it in doors for the winter and keep near a sunny window, I have never grown ginger but I would think that would work. Maybe googling how to grow it would give you some help also.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second that!
Ginger is easily grown in pots. You can summer it outdoors from May to October. Just remember to bring it inside if frost is forcast. Partial shade is ideal with shade during the hottest part of the day!
Use a rich organic base soil such as a mix of peat, compost, well aged manure and a handful of perlite or vermiculite to help the soil drain well!
I always prefer a triple mix for most container gardening!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ginger is easy and the ideas above are perfect. You can treat it somewhat like an Orchid and it will be very happy. It likes well composted soil and won't like to be dried out. It loves a mist on the leaves as well as a good ground watering:)

R

RiverRock

Thank yo all soooooo much! I am very encouraged now and will grow the ginger root as a house plant. I had no idea i could do that..hehehe:)

blessings,
RR

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com