I need help with my squash and cucumbers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Holy cow Dale we usually don't get much more than that in a whole year

We got total 4.7 inches of rain last night, so I don't know what my garden is going to do with all this water. Only time will tell.

Dawn you sound like my sister that lives in Albuquerque NM. The tomatoes in one of the gardens are beginning to flop. The wilting will only get worse.

I am getting some cucumbers but the plants look sick.

Dor, my yellow squash are shrinking too. I wish that I knew what it is that is making them do that. I am thinking about pulling them out.

I am thinking the heat is causing it kim. I water them every other day. I am going to start pulling them off too.

It hasn't been that hot here. I know that we had a week of hot weather in May but it has been nice until now. I pulled out my beans because they were not doing good. I am going to work that bed up and see if I can start some more squash in there.

I have tiny green beans and purple hulls now and another yellow squash. I am going to dig up my lemon cucumbers and zuchinni and plant more squash and cucumbers.

I am still waiting on my cucs but I will have to share my tomatoes and jalapenas. I noticed once of my litted straight nect squash was shrinking. What could be causing that?

I hope your garden Dale and and Gloria's pull through after all the rain you all are getting.

Dor, my garden is pitiful! I'm losing all of my tomato plants, the toms are rotting as fast as they come on the vines. The cucs are producing somewhat but the bushes are yellow. Everything is turning yellow and dying!!!! I've even have bottom rot on my squash!
Peppers are doing ok so far and I've gathered lots of jalopinos. I got my first harvest of crowder peas today and it was barely a cooking from three rows.
Did you plant the speckled butter beans seeds? Those aren't doing well for me either. I have little pods on them but they're not filling out. My butter peas didn't make bushes worth talking about. This has been a disasterous gardening season so far but I can't complain. I've had years of really good gardening produce so to lose one summer is stressful but there's always next year!

Dor, my garden is pitiful! I'm losing all of my tomato plants, the toms are rotting as fast as they come on the vines. The cucs are producing somewhat but the bushes are yellow. Everything is turning yellow and dying!!!! I've even have bottom rot on my squash!
Peppers are doing ok so far and I've gathered lots of jalopinos. I got my first harvest of crowder peas today and it was barely a cooking from three rows.
Did you plant the speckled butter beans seeds? Those aren't doing well for me either. I have little pods on them but they're not filling out. My butter peas didn't make bushes worth talking about. This has been a disasterous gardening season so far but I can't complain. I've had years of really good gardening produce so to lose one summer is stressful but there's always next year!

Gloria, I am sorry that so many are losing their garden due to the rain and heat. Yes I planted the speckled butter beans and they are doing well. I have green beans and my purple hull are starting. I hope I get enough to have a couple of good messes as my grandmother used to say. My okra is getting tall. They and healthy and is green. I don't have any pods yet. It seems that one of my Mama Romas, lemon cucumbers, straight neck squash, and zuchinnis are not doing much. I am just going to pull the lemon cucumbers and zuchinni up and plant more cucumbers and squash.

Gloria you have a lot sandier soil than my clay based, I thought your garden would be fairing a lot better than mine. Had to replant my okra because of all the rain and did that on Saturday, we shall see. I am still getting a lot of vegetables out of my garden so I know I am blessed.

Gloria how is your watermelon patch doing? Mine has lots of blooms but haven't set any fruit yet. We got 1 1/2 tenths of rain last night but more suppose to be coming our way again today. We shall see.

Dale, it's raining here now, the bad stuff has passed and maybe shortly it will all clear out of here. Our watermelons are like yours, blossoms but no fruit. Last year this time we had some good sized melons growing. I wonder how much more rain we will get this summer? I've thought about replanting but if the rain doesn't stop, it would be useless.

Wow this sounds like it is not going to be a good garden year on the east coast. My Dixie lee peas are doing well and so are my spaghetti squash but everything else is going to be a loss. We are still having buckets of rain daily. We had a total of 21" last month alone and it just keep coming. Plants are rotting off a the ground:(

My tomatoes are doing great but like you Gloria, and Dor my cukes and squash are not doing good. I wish that I knew what to do for them.

I only have 1 winter squash plant showing, so I put in some more seeds. If that one plant is a Hubbard though, that will be enough squash for the year. Those things are huge.

Gloria we got another 2/10 of an inch of rain early this morning. May get more today. I went and bought some more tomato plants and pepper plants to plant soon as it dries off.

I finally have small wateremelons on my vines. We shall see if they make or not. Some of the tomatoes have wilted and they won't come out of the wilt. We have to keep on keeping on!!!

I can't even get a marigold to grow this year with this rain. I do have some squash PLANTS and some tomato PLANTS but nothing is doing much. Our bamboo is growing great ~ rats. I guess in July when we get a drought, I'll just go to the Farmer's Market here in Olney ~ I doubt we will starve. ~

Curb, we probably won't starve but I think produce is going to get high high high!!!

Dale, I know that it is going to get high. You guys are having to much rain and we have a drought and the govener won't give the famers the water they need. The environmentalist have been complaining about the Delta Smelt and the Salmon. The farmers here are having to let their land go unplanted because they aren't getting enough water.

Kim it is trying times, that is why I continue to grow a vegetable garden and share my vegetables with family and friends. Don't know where it's going to end.

Wow! I will leave it at that I don't want to put my preached hat on. LOL! We have crops rotting in the field because it's so wet they can't harvest!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back