I need help with my squash and cucumbers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Like I said produce is going to be so high we won't be able to afford it.

We got over 3 inches of rain today, my garden is not doing well, planted more seeds last sat but they have probably rotted by now with all the rain we've had this past week.

Laurie I am so sorry you are having all the trouble with the rain. We have been battling the extra rain in our garden and looks like my garden is going to survive.

My toms are all but history. I've gathered about 6 from 200 plants! I think the rain is clearing out for SC but the heat is setting in. 100 degrees tomarrow.. a few days of those high temps and the ground will dry real fast. Today was a stay inside under the A/C day!
I have a few more tomato seedlings growing in a flat, I'll keep on keeping on till it's too late.

I really do feel for all of you. I would like some rain but not as much as you guys get. I think that we all have our own struggles. I guess I like not have as much rain as you guys. I have had to stay in today with the AC going too! It has been hot here but I know we need the heat to help the fruits and veggies to grow and produce.

Our growing season was slow in starting, but it has been really good since I got my garden in.

Oh let's blame it on Global warming and ......(chime in here).......that I lost my raincoat so I am being punished with all this rain. Here's a funny~ it has been so wet, we haven't been able to get our BOAT in the Potomac ! I say we use it as a swimming pool for my sister-in-law, whose yard it is still sitting in. Oh, maybe we can stock it and fish IN it instead of FROM it! ~ :p :D :)

Curb that is so horrible. The ground is not as saturated as it was so maybe we are going to dry out. Chance of rain tomorrow so we shall see. Don't know how my garden is producing but it is. Picked a few tomatoes today and a 2 gallon bucket of squash and cucumbers. I am thankful for everything I have been able to pick from the garden. The friends, family and neighbors that I have shared our bounty have been more appreciative this year it seems.

Well garden friends I picked my first cucumber yesterday. My 3 yr old granddaughter Mya ate it for breakfast this morning. I have to wait for the next one.

My straight neck squash look to have blossum end rot if there is such a thing. They get so big shrink or if they don't shrink they get black on the ends and get mushy. I may not get any at all this season. But good news I have green beans, okra and purple hulls. I can't wait to taste them.

Dor that is great!!! My cucumber and squash bushes are looking rough. Still getting some cukes and squash but not like I was. My tomato picking is getting good. Small watermelons on my bushes now.

I'm finally seeing some squash coming up in the summer squash plantings. I think it just took longer for the soil to warm sufficiently.

I've got 5 quarts of peas canned so far, Dixie Lee and Crowder.
Dor, my squash has the bottom rot too but luckily I planted enough that I've managed to get enough for myself and give some away but nothing like I expected. I don't have enough to preserve any unless the bushes perk up and do better soon.
My corn did make a good crop and tomarrow I'll break some more to blanch and freeze.
Cucs are ok, they're producing but the bushes look bad. I've jarred 12 qt jars of dill pickles and manage to keep friends and family with a few. This is from a hundred foot row.
I won't be doing the canning this year that I usual do of salsa and tomatoes. When I look at my tomato bushes I get sick! My okra is not growing at all and my butter beans are not filling out but falling off the bushes all flat and yellow.
I still say we had an acid rain. It was after one certain rain that the leaves of everything began to look like they had been sprayed with something that burned them. The corn stalks started turning yellow at the bottoms, tomato leaves looked like they had a fungus and then began to die. Even some of my flower plants look spotty and yellow.
I have very sandy soil and even though we've had an unusual amount of rain, I just don't think that caused this much damage.
This has been the worse gardening season I've ever had but that's ok, I've had good ones in the past and I look forward to next year and maybe it will be a better year for the gardens.

Sounds like everybody is at least getting SOMEthing. We all can use whatever our garden provides to keep us gardening ! ~ Curbie

I weeded my three rows of beans today and at the end of the rows, I have tomato plants. I saw a little tomato that sneaked in there. First one I've seen this year.

I've got 5 quarts of peas canned so far, Dixie Lee and Crowder.

I have had so many Dixie Lee this year already that I am just picking and giving away. They are the one thing that didn't die from all the rain! I have to send Mainegal some Dixie Lees she will love them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back