Interesting Ant Killer

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recieved this info in and email today, I will definitely give it a try. Ants are a big problem for me, can't wait to see if it works!

This is a new twist to killing fire ant colonies.
For those not familiar with Walter Reeves, he is from the University of Georgia agriculture department, specializing in home gardening. His television show, 'Gardening in Georgia ', is on each Saturday.

I know fire ants are picky eaters and any type poison that is effective takes seven feeding steps before the queen receives it. Plus, if the bait is stored in close proximity to any petroleum or fertilizer products they won't touch it. Contact poisons that are on the market just cause the colony to move away. A well developed colony can be as deep as 30 feet and spread out some 20 to 50 feet from the mound center... This was documented by studies done in the early 60's when they were first sited in South Alabama .

An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by Walter Reeves on his Georgia Gardener radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in.

Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Besides eliminating the ants, club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other insects. It is not harmful to your pets, soaks into the ground. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.

Kya D

I don't have fire ants but that is a great idea and it costs so little. I sure hope it works for you Gloria

Spider_Lily

I don't have fire ants but that is a great idea and it costs so little. I sure hope it works for you Gloria
Kya I can send you a few million if you want seed.LOL Their everywhere here bed's have popped up all over our yard.Since all the rain last week.Be glad to share.:eek:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Dry Ice would be a better method then sodas!
If you do not know what dry ice is, it's solidified carbondioxide! Dig a whole in the mound and drop in a nice sized piece of dry ice and then cover it with soil! If anything, it would drive the ants out of the area!!
Guess I will have to use the recommended pesticide to get rid of all the mounds in our lawn, I have large black ants! Nasty little beggers..hate accidentally stepping on them...they pour out to attack my feet!

Kya D

Oh Spider how very thoughtful of you to offer but I really must pass, after all if I got a million of yours what would you do?

Blueaussi

I'm telling y'all, if you need an alien insect infestation, go with Argentine Ant Megacolonies! They swarm and get into stuff, but they don't bite. And they kill fire ants and termites.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I have a few million to spare. We have a pest control company and we still have ants. those fire ants do a number on me and I usually get into at least 2 dens a summer. Will send to everyone.

Bradeen

i am also interested to know how can i kill ants completely because i am in a big trouble due to these ants
and looking for better solution of these.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen a suggestion several times about using Borax for killing ants. But the Borax is also toxic to other animals, so it has to be shielded from them. But the idea is to make a paste of Borax with syrup or honey and place where ants frequent. They will feed on the paste and take it back to the colony where it will also kill there. I have tried a weaker mixture and placed the mixture into a pill bottle with a plastic cap. I drilled a hole in the cap to allow access for the ants, but nothing else. I would like to say that it was successful, but I am not sure.

Bannetsmith

Hmmmmm good steps to remove ants. I should try these things and had 100 % confidence that these steps are beneficial and works in real. What you think about it..

SpencerGreenway

Well I agree with you all But still dont take any chance and prefer pest control team to look after my home and garden. Some times we use the wrong product due to lack of information and face problems in result.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com