Iris

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Dizzy do you know what kind of iris those are (name) cuz I have 10 zillion of those and I need to get rid of all of them except a couple. I do know they are really old (heirloom) ones . They are so pretty though. I got mine last year from one of the old ranches out here

DizzyDaff

Sorry Dawn, all I know is they are purple tall bearded. I got them from Dixie Calhoun a few years ago & this is the first time they have bloomed for me, but they have multiplied like CRAZY!
If anyone would like some, just let me know. Would be happy to share as I have to thin them after they stop blooming.

This is the only bloom I had from them last year.

Attachments

• tn_6-17-08 001.jpg
    tn_6-17-08 001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 320
  • tn_6-17-08 003.jpg
    tn_6-17-08 003.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 298

Kya D

Dizzy I think maybe I lied yours have more yellow than mine. Mine look more like the ones that Jen D posted on page 4 or 5. Yours are really pretty.
I would love "one" this fall by then my iris will have bloomed and I will know what colors I have.

DizzyDaff

There are two that are a lighter purple, but they have the same general coloring as the others, just lighter. :)

Attachments

• May 17 09 002.jpg
    May 17 09 002.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 318
  • May 17 09 004.jpg
    May 17 09 004.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 304
  • May 17 09 005.jpg
    May 17 09 005.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 276

Spider_Lily

Your Iris's are beautiful.I have 2 that I got from my brother before he passed away.They have not bloomed as of yet.Is there something special I need to do for them to bloom?I would love to see this one bloom being it was my brother's.

DizzyDaff

Thank you Spiderlily!~ :)
I replanted them last fall & made sure only the roots are underground - the corms are actually ON TOP of the ground. Apparently I had them planted too deeply before, so they didn't bloom.
I also read that sometimes it will take them a year or two to recover & bloom after moving, so I am really pleased they are blooming now.

Spider_Lily

I may have them planted to deep.I will check do you think just pulling the soil away if I can will help?I don't want to mess with them if it prolong's blooming farther.

Dor

Sorry Dawn, all I know is they are purple tall bearded. I got them from Dixie Calhoun a few years ago & this is the first time they have bloomed for me, but they have multiplied like CRAZY!
If anyone would like some, just let me know. Would be happy to share as I have to thin them after they stop blooming.

This is the only bloom I had from them last year.

Dizzy, I would like a few when you thin them please. They are beautiful.
I could share mine but I don't know what I have only four of them bloomed this year. I hope they do like yours and all blooms next year.

myfedora

I may have them planted to deep.I will check do you think just pulling the soil away if I can will help?I don't want to mess with them if it prolong's blooming farther.
Yes just removing the soil from the top should be ok Spiderlilly. That is what I do with mine every year.

Spider_Lily

I got a new catalog yesterday from Glibert wild and Son.All their Irises are on sale for $3
and no higher than $4.their all beautiful.They have good price's on the day lilies too.Wish I had some extra money.I know what I would order.

JenD

I have some more blooming today!

Attachments

• 100_2572.jpg
    100_2572.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_2573.jpg
    100_2573.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_2575.jpg
    100_2575.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_2576.jpg
    100_2576.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_2577.jpg
    100_2577.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 290

JenD

And just a few more. Last is a minature, must be a rebloomer!

Attachments

• 100_2579.jpg
    100_2579.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 100_2559.jpg
    100_2559.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 315

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have enjoyed seeing all the pics of everyones Irises!! They're all soooo pretty! This was my best year yet with blooms and glad to see so many of you with just as much or more. Thanks to all of you for sharing your Irises.
I'm hoping to see more yet!

Maggie

Oh Jen those are so pretty. I love Irises to. Come to think of it I don't know of a flower I don't like.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com