Is this a wildflower or a weed?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

My daughter planted a lot of wildflower seeds a few weeks ago in our flower bed. Now we have this creature popping up in several spots. There are no blossoms, so I have my suspicions, but it is not stringy like most of the weeds that grow out here (southern California desert). If it is a wildflower, of course we'll leave it in. 20200623_191009.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Paul!
Looks interesting!
I'd wait until it starts blooming!
If the flowers are tiny, I suspect it will produce zillions of seeds, and therefore I'd consider it a weed!
How's that for an answer! :)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Paul!
It is nice to see the details!

I would suggest you look around your neighborhood, and surrounding fields and look for it! It is probably a native species specific to your area, or state! I have a feeling that the seeds are spread around by the wind....but then again I would need to see the flower details.
Still wondering if it is an annual, or a perennial! If it survives your winter then it would be the later.

You could take a cutting and bring it to your local garden center...they may know what it is!

I posted your photo on Face Book....might get some feedback on it!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
No answer from my friends on facebook but I did find a possibility... Nuttall's Scrub Oak...only problem is that yours doesn't have spiny leaves!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com