Japanese Maple

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

I bought a Japanese Maple last Spring it was a tiny stick.Brought it home put it in a pot so I could guard it.LOL My DH on the mower's dangerous to plant's.
I transplanted it this Fall.It has grown quiet a bit.The Spiderwort trying to take over .It will have to go.LOL

Attachments

• Flowers -10 002.JPG
    Flowers -10 002.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 299
Those plants are in a class all by themselves! Mine is just starting to leaf out as well and it always seems to become a conversation piece as well! Thanks for taking the time and share a beautiful tree with us all here too!! :)

Mine is beginning to leaf out. I bought 2 of the weeping japanese maples a few years ago and we had a freeze one year after they had leafed out and I thought they both had died but one of them put out a new shoot from the ground and it has grown really fast. The sad part is that it is no longer the weeping type. I still like it tho but I wish I had another of the weeping ones.

I have several weeping Japanese Maples. Some were obtained at a moving sale. I dug them up and 'moved' them. Most people don't think about selling their plants before moving.
I bring it up.
When pruning a Japanese Maple I like to prune them up and 'show a little leg'. It works best to show the leg on the north side because the trunk is less likely to sunburn. Siting is a consideration if you are going to do this.

I think so too. I have raised a lot of them over the years, mostly from seed. I started with a paper sack of maple seeds from a maple collection. I raised the plants and then took seeds from the best and raised them. Now I'm selecting from the best of those.

Great pictures love Japanese maples, I have one in the front yard, it sit in the center bed, don't know the name of it but its red and show very nicely

Attachments

• pics%2006.jpg
    pics%2006.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 282

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back