Just Noticed

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snapped this pic this morning as I was leaving. Just such great colors on these new (LOL) antique lillies I got this spring. Notice on flower has athers/stamines that are white and the other has black. Both on the same bulb. Is one male and one female , they look the same.

Attachments

• DSC03508.jpg
    DSC03508.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC03509.JPG
    DSC03509.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 308
Whoa those are pretty
I have no clue about the difference. Maybe they darker as they age.

Got them from a friend who got them from a grandmother who had them for ever. Picture is not even close to the true color. When they first bloom they are deep magenta.

Bear I have about 30 of them. They were such large bulbs and had somewhat been neglected that I decided to group them in 3's to see if they would reproduce more. There were a lot of very small babies around the sideds of the clump. I can't wait to feed and take care of them. I look forward to sharing when they get going;)

I have never had any trouble growing them. They seem to love the florida sun and humidity! I have 1000's of them. The do well in the winter too.

Wow...that is a lot of lillies...that must be incredible when they are all in bloom!!!
I just found some oriental on clearance at walmart...can't wait to see and smell them next year!!!

Now if they would bloom all at the same time we would be in biz! I have been digging and giving away as they just keep reproducing. I thinned earlier in the year and Hope I won't have to do it for at least a year or 2. A lot of them are in the swamp line and you can't see them until they give a little bloom , but it ads a little color to the swamp.;)

Hmmm!
I keep looking at your photos Nancie...I've seen similar ones before...the recurving anthers...the name finally came to me...Crinums! Flowers at the top of long stalks, strap leaves....look superficially like amaryllis!
They do have large bulbs, and reproduce by offsets.

It's amazing that you guys grow flowers that I have never heard of before..I love those antique lilies and now I want to grow some!!

Kallie,

They are easy to come by. If you start looking I bet you will see them near old homesteads. When I get ready to thin and divide I will offer some for postage. It will not be til at least fall though. So just look for my post on the offering;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back