Kitchen Tips

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I place my egg yolks in a mini electric chopper. The chopper also works well for nuts and other things too.

Hi oma I haven't seen you for a while. It sure is good to see ya.
That is a great idea with the mini chopper.

Hi, Oma ! Good idea with the chopper. Do you remember where you got yours? (I am not a shopper by nature so I only go to the store I need.) Hey, It's stupid question time ~ sponsored by your local Curb ~ The idea of using dryer sheets as a mosquito repellent ~ USED or Un-used ? ~ :)

I use used dryer sheets on the bottom of plant pots! I cut out circles and squares to fit over the drainage holes, they prevent soil from washing out the bottom! Works great for outdoor container gardening, helps to stop bugs from digging up through the draniage holes!
I even use dog hair for the same purpose! With needing to cut Hedy's hair 2 to 3 times a year I always have a supply to use!
Ever wonder what to do with those foam meat trays? I wash them. and use them for plant trays!

Those are great ideas ! MY GOODness, we're a bright bunch ! I'm going to do that in my container gardens next year :) Back to skeeters thought ~ we leave next Saturday so ....if anyone knows, ---- used or unused, give me a holler. (I love this thread!) ~ Curbster

I really like those rubber discs that you use to grip lids to twist them open. Not only for that use but to peel the skin off of garlic.

I also use tourniquets the ones that are used when drawing blood, for needle pullers when I quilt

I make garden markers from laundry jugs. Just cut the size sign you want. Then cut a slit at the top and the bottom about a 1/2 inch in from the ends. Use a sharpie marker to write name and date of seeds. Slide a thin "garden stake" through the slits and place at the end of your row. You will have the date palnted and what you planted.

I use mini vinyl blind slats for plant markers!
There are always extra slats left over when shortening the blinds to fit the windows. Or replacing olderer blinds!
I cut the slats up into 3 inches pieces, and write the Latin name, common name (if there is one) and the date I started the seeds. I use a dark graphite pencil.
I find using a dark graphite pencil lasts a couple of years since the sun doesn't bleach out the graphite like it does to permenant markers!

That is an issue Ron with the print going away. I use to use grease pencils but just haven't bought any for a while. I will have to try the pencil instead;)

Great idea Ron about using a graphite pencil. I have had problems with the permanent markers fading. I'll have to try your suggestion. :)

I am STILL researching these daggone Boucne sheets to find out if they are NEW or used. I found a website and this is what it says,"Spread them around foundation areas, or in trailers or cars that are sitting. It also keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.

Repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season."
I'll bet this lady doesn't know either ~ phewy :) Curbie

Curbie, I have tried placing a bounce sheet in my belt loop but I wasn't satisfied with the results. Mosquitoes were still buzzing.

Curbs,
I have a heart reaction to DEET. So I found this stuff called bug balm. It comes in a little tin and you get it at the ehalth food store. It has citronella, camphor, and something else. It really works and last a long time. You kind of dab it on like perfume. It is the texture of uh maybe chapstick. Also Walmart carries "Herbal Armor" and it is all natural and works well also ;)

CG, We have a health store right here in Olney (Roots) and I'm giong to see if they have it. Do you have who makes it? Brand name? This is great ! I always see Burt's Bees in those places (We have Whole Foods around here too) I gotta get going on getting ready to go..I have this sneaking suspicion I'm going to run out of time. MTM, however, is wandering around without a THING to do.......pthbpthbpthbpthb ~ Curbs

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back