knockout roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

A neighbor lady gave me 2 knockout roses if I would dig them up. They are 4 years old and very healthy and of course at this time of year are blooming. I dug them up this morning, and before hand I had the holes dug with compost and some composted manure I put in the bottom of the holes and covered with some soil. Then I planted the roses and watered really well. I know this isn't the time of year to be moving roses I would guess, but she wanted them gone , so I had to move them now.
has anyone any other suggestions and advised of what I would need to do other rhen keep well watered until (and if) they get established ? I so hope they make it for they are huge and very beautiful roses.
Thanks for any help
Errol:)

I can't help ya with what to do with the roses other than take off the blossoms and water them.
But how lucky for you to get such a gift.

I've moved and planted roses all during the summer and as long as I kept them watered well, had no problems. Good luck with yours.

Use some epsom salt to help keep the roots hydrated!
A tablespoon to a gallon of water is about right!
You might like to reduce the amount of foliage by one third so the root system can recover!!

thanks so much for all the help and advised! Don't know what I would do if not for all you guys on this forum. Ron, I did all that you advised, and the bushes sure looked better after cutting them back. I had epsom salt on hand since I use it on my tomato plants. Kya D and Gloria, I will be sure and take your suggestion on watering. thank you very much.

thought I would give an update on the 2 knockout roses..One has a lot of new growth and getting more green leaves...the other may be a toss up!! the 2nd still has green stems and has life in the stems, but no leaves nor I seen any new growth. thinking maybe I should cut the 2nd bush way back so more growth will go to the roots or should I just leave it along for now? I keep them watered once a week deep ..have them mulched about 3 " deep.
any suggestions on the 2nd bush? Ron, you were a great help before as was everyone else..
thanks

That's great Errol. I love the Knockout Roses. They just seem to keep blooming all summer. So beautiful.

Thanks Crabbergirl, now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed on thr second rose bush. It still has green stems, some are brown, so thinking about cutting it back quiet alot.

another update on the 2 knockout roses..one is doing great, has buds that will be open in a couple of days., the 2nd bush, I finally cut back almost to the ground, about 14 inches from the ground to be exact. it still has strong looking green stalks, but a couple stalks is black looking, so still hoping.
thanks

That's pretty good news!
One out of two are pretty good odds!
Hopefully the second one will settle in and put out new foliage!
All you can do is wait.

Ron, its kinda like watching over a sick family member!! lol
I really hate to lose a plant, or see one not doing well
thanks
Errol

i have a rose with a bunch of like seed balls on it , am i to cut them off or what !!!! dont know what kind it is , its kinda pink salmon color and the blooms bust wide open .

Nancy, I really dont know alot about roses, but I am sure someone will be able to help you. A lot of people on here will know just what to do.
Errol

Hey Nancy!
These 'balls' are called rose hips!
I just snip them off since they us up energy for the formation of seeds!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back