Knockout Roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

Anybody have them? We went to a get together last summer and I saw these amazing guys, had the homeowner do some digging for me to find out what they were, as I had never seen them in Canada. Since that time I now see them everywhere...they are used in many commercial landscapes. I got myself 5 of them and since found out that they need huge amounts of space. They get huge. I moved them around a bit so that they may have the right amount of space in the future. They are amazing creatures for sure.

I Love Them!

I Love Them! We just put these in last year, and though I had a neighbor tell me they were not "REAL" Roses??

I Love them and they bloom abundantly!

Anybody have them? We went to a get together last summer and I saw these amazing guys, had the homeowner do some digging for me to find out what they were, as I had never seen them in Canada. Since that time I now see them everywhere...they are used in many commercial landscapes. I got myself 5 of them and since found out that they need huge amounts of space. They get huge. I moved them around a bit so that they may have the right amount of space in the future. They are amazing creatures for sure.

Attachments

• tn_DSCN3468.JPG
    tn_DSCN3468.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 410
  • tn_DSCN3467.JPG
    tn_DSCN3467.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 391
  • tn_DSCN4212.JPG
    tn_DSCN4212.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 390
We were househunting with another couple who are transferring last friday afternoon and the house that they are probably buying had 6 of these big boys out front. I was able to identify most of the things in the yard, but these were what stood out to me. Even though they were dormant I was able to identify them. They were like 4-5 feet tall and 4 feet around. Amazing! My babies came from lowes and were only in one gallon containers, but grew a lot last year. I will post some photos when they come out in bloom this year. They look pretty small compared to what I saw last Friday.

I have two of them On is a Double Knockout and is doing well and the second is a Knockout(Rady00) is what is on the tag. It didn't do as well and I dug it up last week and put in a container. Once it is better I will find a space for it. Both of mine are red. I look forward to get more.

thanks Trva for posting yours and Jad thanks for the link...I think I willhave to get a couple and replace the nasty boxwood, ( which I thought were privets :() I have..

I know that there are many boxwood fans out there, so I will only voice my opinion, they smell bad. I have always compared them with the cat litter box. The knockouts will get big if they like their environment, so plan accordingly.

We went out to eat last Summer and in front they had the red Knockout rose.
They were loaded with blooms.I sort of borrowed a piece of it.A tiny limb it rooted.I went back by later and they were trimming them.So I just had to stop and ask for a few cuttings.They were throwing them away.Now I have about 10 I thinks going to make it.They are sooooo easy to root.:)

I have 2 of the double red knockout roses that I got last year. I already had a pink one and a red one (they aren't the double tho). The red one is about 5ft. tall and 5ft. wide and I love them. I'm thinking about adding 2 more this year because I really do like them. They bloom heavily in the spring and continue blooming all summer.
Treva yours are gorgeous. I like the red the best.

Last edited:
I only have one Knockout besides the cuttings I have that may make it .
Here are the Gazebo Roses I tend.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/eg08/index.htm

The Knockouts are free flowing lots of care (cutting spent blooms) if you want constant blooms!
They are simply beautiful.:D:D
Not scented but glorious to view!
Some people say it is not a real rose,because it isn't scented.It sure is a rose and a beauty at that!

Good for you Spider- Lily!
I did that with BFBushes!
they just chopped them away and I scooped them up!
A little TLC and they were fine!
Here is my "single" Rainbow, she is so cute:D
She does go through a sleep period although short.Then starts up again:)

Kale:)

Attachments

• GAZ DoubKO.jpg
    GAZ DoubKO.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 394
  • GAZ doubleKO.jpg
    GAZ doubleKO.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 399
  • RainbowKnockout.jpg
    RainbowKnockout.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 386
I know that there are many boxwood fans out there, so I will only voice my opinion, they smell bad. I have always compared them with the cat litter box. The knockouts will get big if they like their environment, so plan accordingly.

I am with you...Not a fan one bit...and here I sit with them all across half of my yard....:(

I also grow knockout roses last year was my first year trying them.

Attachments

• 100_0293 double knockout Rose000.JPG
    100_0293 double knockout Rose000.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_0342 Red Double KNockout Rose.jpg
    100_0342 Red Double KNockout Rose.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 396
I think I remember someone defining "knockout roses" on GH, but I don't remember what it was.

They are beautiful when mature. This is my first time with them. I think that the name is fitting. I will keep you posted as mine mature.

1st rose to bloom and take off at the Gazebo Rose Garden this year!
Grandifloras are way behind but will catch up soon... Fairies are budding too!:D:D:D
KO RED! So pretty....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 'Knockouts' are a knockout this weekend. They all openned up with all of this heat that we are having.

I have seen them blooming all over the place this weekend, how lovely they are. Wish my camera was working, but I am going to send it off to Canon to see if they can get it fixed up.

Jade did Canon replace your camera!??
Here is mid to late June 09
@ the
English Gazebo Garden I tend!

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/gz09/index.html

(click on link above)
This year was a cool year.No PM only a little black spot on the Grandiflorias which were removed, grew back and was fine until Fall cleanup.
Another very nice year.
The Grandifloras grew taller then 51/2 feet again,only earlier this 2nd year. It was rather interesting,blooms galore.Too bad I had someone making themselves arrangements. I would anticipate blooms and they would be gone when I got there.Well, they knew when to cut *LOL Hope they enjoyed the blooms they stole*LOL
Lord of Great Landscaping knew I wanted to catch them*lol

Any pics??
I'll look for my little Rainbow KO pics..

BTW my PM is full,
you may email me, no clue what to delete..:eek:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back