Lambs ears

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

Has anyone ever tried rooting Lambs ear from cuttings?

I got some lambs ears and I just love them, they are so soft I caould play with the leaves forever..lol Anyways I have had them in a jar with water till I can get out and work my front flower beds were I want to put them. I noticed that it is rooting pretty far up the stem and there are some offshoots or new stems growing lower then some of the roots. I pulled off a couple of the new stems, they have small leaves on them, and I stuck them in a little pot with dirt and a little organic fertilizer. I dont know if they will root or not but thought it was worth a try.

Just wondering if anyone has ever rooted lambs ear from a cutting before.

RR

Annette99

My lambs ears form roots all along the stems of the leaves, very easy to move and pant elsewhere. Good luck.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never tried rooting the Lamb's Ear but it is so prolific once you get it in the dirt, it will multiply like crazy. Good luck on rooting it, let us know. Inquiring minds want to know.

PRH

Yes,I have done those and for some odd reason,they only lasted for a season and then died. ( I thought they would always bounce back ) Anyway,I like them but don't know if I will have them again as I filled in the gap where I had them with other plants now!
Good Luck!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in SC Lambs Ear is a perennial. It stays green all winter. It multiplies like crazy.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
it a perennial here too, comes back every yr in different places or i think it's lamb ears, maybe it's not, will have to take a pic of it

Dor

You can plant them in full sun to light shade RR. I just checked online.

Annette99

The west side of my house has towering 100 year old deciduous trees, so in the summer it only gets 2 or 3 hours of late day sun. So many people have said, I didn't know you could grow these(many varieties of perennials, including lambs ears) in the shade. I'm convinced that in early spring before the leaves come out on the trees, that the plants get enough sun and that's why they thrive.

swindy

Lambs ears are wonderful if you a plant that spreads. In my last garden I started with just 2 small plants and within a few years I had them all over my garden. When I wanted to move some to another area I would just pull up a couple of feet of the stems and lay them down in the area I wanted them and cover parts of the stems with soil. They would root in no time at all. They send up purple spiked flowers. Deers hate them as they do any other fussy plant.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swindy I don't remember the purple spiked flowers on Lamb's Ear and I have grown it for several years. Maybe I just don't remember it. Are there several varieties? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've got to look them up and see if that is what i have, guess i'll go do it know so i won't forget...lol

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll have to wait until it blooms to see if it get the spikes of purple flowers as I don't remember if it does or not.

Maggie

They are perennials here to. Mine also stay green all winter and will root anywhere. Mine do anyway. I have to pull some up every year. I either give them away or throw them away. They even rooted in the compost pile last year. Mine have the purple blooms on them to. The blooms are on a stalk.

swindy

I can't remember how long the flower stalks stay in bloom, but they were very pretty and a bright purple.

Scarez

I thought the plants I have were Lamb's Ears, but turns out I have Rose Campion. It has tall stems with purple flowers on it. Is that what you all are talking about?

Seems they are very similar but two different plants.

but then, what do I know....hehehe, which is why I LOVE THIS GROUP!!

Attachments

• iscoronaria.jpg
    iscoronaria.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 364

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com