Lawn Watering Tips

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sphireblue1

When should I water my lawn?

Never water your lawn or landscape in the heat of the day. This may actually cause more harm than good. The droplets of water that remain on the grass, plants and flowers actually wilt the plant once the hot sun warms the water. Most of the water that is being put down is also being evaporated due to the heat.
It is best to water in the early morning or early evening hours, but never late in the evening. This will give the ground a chance to soak the water in and reach the root system of the plants. Watering late in the evening could possibly cause more disease and weed problems as they tend to develop more at night than during the day.

http://www.irrigationsolutions.com

rnellis

My Lawn had a bad summer

I need some help with my lawn too. Here in Texas, we had a horribly hot summer and now I have dead patches in my lawn. What's the best way to rejuvenate it?

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

grcolts

Hot Summer-

I need some help with my lawn too. Here in Texas, we had a horribly hot summer and now I have dead patches in my lawn. What's the best way to rejuvenate it?

Robert

Hello Robert,
This posting may be too late for a reply as we are now in the dormant season for Texas grasses. Yes, the summer was extremely hot and dry in Texas this year, especially around San Antonio. I think almost everyday from June until early September was over 100 degrees.
Luckily, my grass did ok this summer. I have St. Augustine grass as it can tolerate some shade. Do you know what kind of grass you have on your lawn?
That would be the first step to resolving your problem.
Brown patches can be due to several things such as the heat we had this summer, insect damage and or fungus.
If you can locate a little book by Ortho called Lawn Problem Solver it might help you in finding a solution to your particular problem.

GR

Last edited by a moderator:

growing341

You need to water lawn in the morning so that the surface of the lawn and garden dries off during the day.Also water deeply and infrequently so the roots of the plants learn to grow down into the soil to get the water they need.

gardeningcn

For lawn watering, sprinklers are commonly used.
Here we'd share some tips on how to use sprinklers efficiently. Welcome to your comments.
Also, as manufacturer we'd like to serve you if you are demanding sprinklers, such as pop-up sprinkler, impact sprinkler, oscillating sprinkler, stationary sprinkler, etc.

How To Watering Lawn With Irrigation Sprinkler System Most Efficiently?

Automated irrigation sprinkler systems are very convenient, but they can also be big water wasters. Consider these tips to reduce summer water consumption by up to 50 percent.

• Check the entire sprinkler system thoroughly before activating! Check all exposed pipes, hose bibs and sprinkler heads for damage and repair as necessary. Pressurize the system and observe the main line from the shut-off point near the street to the valve box to ensure there are no leaks. Wait a few hours while the main line is pressurized to allow time for leaks to appear. Then turn on valves one at a time, and observe individual sprinklers. They will often have clogs or need readjustment. After running a valve for a few minutes, walk its length to ensure there are no underground leaks.

• Once the sprinkler system functions properly, perform a water efficiency check. Place several containers (soup cans work well) in a line on a particular valve and run the sprinklers for 10 to 15 minutes. After this period, shut off the sprinklers and measure the amount of water in each container, then, multiply the measurement to determine how many inches per hour are emitted per spot. Average these numbers to see how many inches per hour are emitted per zone. Correct the differences that occur from container to container and from valve to valve.

• Do not irrigate on a daily basis!During the hottest time of the year, lawns require 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches of water weekly. Apply this in greater amounts less often to condition the lawn to become more drought tolerant and less attractive to common lawn pest. Try spacing irrigation at least two to three days apart and apply at least 1/2 inch of water each time.

• Consider not using the water timer. Using a water timer indiscriminately is akin to forcing ourselves to drink a large amount of water every two hours, whether we need it or not. We drink water on an as-needed basis. Irrigate the lawn in the same fashion. Several signs will determine when to water the lawn: visible footprints when the lawn is walked on, brown patches that appear and a screwdriver that cannot be easily inserted into the soil in multiple areas. Another reason not to use a timer is that different areas of the yard require different amounts of water. Areas in full sun require more frequent irrigation than shaded areas.

Water in the early morning (before sunrise) when water pressure is greatest, evaporation is minimal and the lawn drinks in the most water. Do not water in the evening because water will sit on the lawn and may cause disease. Do not water in the heat of the day because the sun will evaporate water before it can soak in. To water your lawn efficiently, you need to provide the right amount of water, evenly distributed, in the right places and at the right time.

samuelbeckett

Nature usually provides enough water through rainfall for grass to grow strong. However, there are times when rainfall needs to be supplemented, such as with newly planted lawns or extended periods of heat and drought. If you choose to water, wait until the lawn becomes dull green in color and footprints remain visible in the grass.
Artificial Grass Installation

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com