leaf rust fungus on my myrtle?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Myrtle Queen

Can someone help me? I grow true Myrtle (myrtus communis) in the central Florida area and have lately been plagued by a type of leaf fungus. It appears on the young leaves in the form of rust colored spots. Does anyone know how I can treat this? Is there a cure? Can I use a non toxic organic substance to treat this? Thank you for any answers.
Myrtle Queen

You will need to apply a fungicide!
I'd go to a garden nursery and ask them which one to use. Bring an infected leaf with you!

clueless

Can someone help me? I grow true Myrtle (myrtus communis) in the central Florida area and have lately been plagued by a type of leaf fungus. It appears on the young leaves in the form of rust colored spots. Does anyone know how I can treat this? Is there a cure? Can I use a non toxic organic substance to treat this? Thank you for any answers.
Myrtle Queen

Thank you for your suggestion Ron, but I have already tried your suggestion and no one has a clue, not even the county government run co-op. I will be greatful to anyone who can help me!

I want to root some cuttings of the red and dark pink Myrtles.I have tried every way I know.How do you root your's?:)

Usually the infected leaves will fall off, leaving the healthy ones after using a fungicide!
It takes a while before this happens! Rake up the infected leaves and dispose of them in the regular garbage....not into the compost (if you have one)!

Hi Spider Lily,
I grow Myrtus Communis and have 5 acres of large mature plants that were started from cuttings 10+ yrs ago. Apply some rooting hormone such as Rootone and plant cuttings in some rich potting soil and you will grow roots.

Good Luck
Myrtle Queen

I love Myrtles but have not found one to grow in my zone 5 artic tundra. I wish you luck with your rust...its a handful when you have alot to treat. I remember in years past trying to treat black spot on 30+ roses. They do sell organic fungicides...has worked for me...when I had those rusty spots on the hydrangea.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back