Lemon Pies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Double Crust Lemon Pie

I use the recipe for the crust that I posted already.

Filling:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 Tblsp. margarine
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 eggs
2 Tblsp. milk
3 Tblsp. sugar

In a medium saucepan, throughly combine the 1 1/4 cups sugar and the cornstarch. Gradually blen in the cold water. Add boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in the margarine, zest, and lemon juice. Beat the eggs, while beating, add a little of the hot mixture to temper. Blend the egg mixture into the hot mixture throughly. Cool, to room temperature. Line a 9-inch pie pan with a rolled crust, leave edges hang over. Pour filling into unbaked shell. Roll out a crust to fit the top with the edges hangging over. Trim the edges and crimp together. Spread the milk on top of the crust, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Make slits in the top of the crust, to vent. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool, and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour at least.

Lemon Meringue Pie

1 baked pie shell
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups cold water
3 eggs, seperated
2 Tblsp. margarine
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the water, and stir until throughly blended. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thicikens and boils. Remove from heat and beat a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, to temper. Return the egg mixture to the hot mixture. Return to heat and bring to a boil, cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add margarine, zest and juice. Pour filling into baked pie shell. Cool, cover with wax paper and chill for at least 1 hour. Make Meringue.

Meringue
Beat the 3 egg whiltes with 1 tsp. creme of tartar, on medium speed until soft peeks form. Add 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup, powdered sugar, and beat on high speed until stiff but not dry. Spread on top of chilled pie. Put pie under broiler to golden. Watch it carefully, it browns fast.

I like the double crust lemon pie because I am not crazy about meringue on pie. I make the meringue with the powdered sugar because it doesn't sweat on top of the pie as much.

Gloria, I hope you like these. Kim :)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like doing them just like a Key Lime with the whipped cream chease around the edge. Ummmm. I love lemon too.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com