Let's see your bbq's, and recipes.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mikiejack

Always loved Spanish style bbq's. But living in an apartment meant I couldn't ever have one. I just finished building this one as it was a great deal. Sorry it's a stock photo, it's been raining here and she's all wrapped up :). Almost killed my wife and I moving the sections totalling 220kg.
56931c9b-a54b-67fc.jpg

Just not sure what to cook on it first. Any great recipes you use?

Nice BBQ!
I could see a turkey slowly turning on a rotissery in yours!
Or a few thick primerib steaks!
Damm! Now I'm hungry!
I have a small cheap propane one that's sitting on the deck!

The Brazilians are very big on outdoor kitchens and have awesome brick barbeques. Dang, I should have gotten some pictures when we were visiting. We have a nice gas grill, but I don't do the barbequing. Hubby makes an awesome firemans chicken!

I run a Weber kettle and an electric smoker. So far this year we've burnt over fifty pounds of charcoal.

That bbq looks like it is just begging for a paella. Search recipes for paella. We cook at least one of these a month but usually more.

Last week did rainbow trout and eggplant for one dinner. Just salt and pepper on the eggplant and rosemary to stuff the trout. The fish and eggplant rings took the same cooking time per side.

We've done three whole smoked chichens so far this year. Beer butt style using cola cans less than half full. Smoker was set to 250 F and used apple wood for the smoke and it takes four to five hours cook time. I'm not too convinced the contents of the can imparts much flavor but it does help it stand up.

Another favorite around here are meatloaf burgers. Make a typical meatloaf with ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, worchestshire sauce, and eggs then form them into burgers and cook to atleast medium. I like to use cheaper ground beef with more fat for juicy burgers. I'll make fifty of these at a time and freeze them raw so all I have to do is thaw and cook for a fast week night dinner.

How about salmon fillets with a honey and soysauce glaze?

Hey mj very nice bbq! 220kgs? no wonder it nearly killed you lol! My brother has a really nice bbq too although not as cool looking as yours. He eventually fitted a small door on his to turn it into an oven for wood fired pizzas and also for smoking. Great job!

I just have a gas grill on the deck. I use it frequently. I like grilled food and living here in Austin I can cool outside almost all year.

We have a gas-fired grill that is used most of the time, but I still like to use the charcoal grill and the electric smoker. I'll rustle up a recipe for ribs that I use. I can't remember who the lady was that gave it to me but I think she was from El Paso, TX and was a regular on the forum here for a long time.

FlowerChild says
Hi! I just thought I'd tell you how I do mine! (My son, who's a picky eater loves them!) I rub them with any seasonings I choose and wrap them in foil. Then I cook them for approximately 4 hours in the oven on 275 degrees. I put them in the fridge to cool off because they seem to come out tastier if they can sit awhile before I put them on the grill. When I grill them, I put sauce on them and cook till the sauce is as thick and darkened as we like! (Cooling them in the fridge also seems to help the sauce stick a little better! Enjoy!!

I cook the ribs as stated above and drain the juices and fat from the aluminum wrappers before putting them in the refrigerator overnight. The next day you apply your favorite BBQ sauce on them and grill them as stated above. But I also will use an alternative method and that is to put the ribs in my electric smoker after applying the BBQ sauce and smoke the ribs using apple wood for the smoke source. The ribs are already cooked at that point and the smoking serves to get the taste and texture to a very tasty state.

But I also will use an alternative method and that is to put the ribs in my electric smoker after applying the BBQ sauce and smoke the ribs using apple wood for the smoke source. The ribs are already cooked at that point and the smoking serves to get the taste and texture to a very tasty state.

Randy, few questions on this. Do you smoke them with the dry rub from raw or bake and chill first? Just using the smoker as the last step? Use the smoker for both steps? Is there a non-pork rib you do this with? I want to do ribs but my wife doesn't eat pork. Thanks

Ron - a nice ribeye steak on the BBQ is pretty much perfection. Quite expensive here in England these days, so it takes concentration not to over do it.

Jade - what's firemans chicken? Sounds interesting.

Mr Yan - sounds like you BBQ a lot. I love paella, but it takes so long to do a good one. I am yet to try my smoker, but it's only suitable for fish or small thin items. It was a gift, so I cannot complain!

Wombat - funny all my friends were 'busy' that morning. :).

Lynpenny - what do you tend to cook?

Randy - I love ribs. Cheap and tasty. Thanks for the info.

So I went to a South African friends house for their version of a BBQ called a braai. Very similar to a normal BBQ, but one thing he made was braai bread. It was a cheese and tomato sandwich, where the BBQ toasts the bread and melts the cheese. Not exactly fine dinning or what I was expecting, but it was certainly interesting.

The recipe hubby uses for his firemans chicken is on food.com...if you type in firemans chicken and find use the one that has vinegar, eggs, oil, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning...it is one of my favorites!

I just reviewed the recipe, it only has 2 reviews...but we love it. Since there are only 2 of us we don't make a full recipe and definitely not the full amount of salt or oil.

I cook all meats and veggies and some fruit on it. Just whatever falls out of the freezer.

Ahhh, we have 3 options for outdoor cooking. When we built I was going to do a summer kitchen. Tim and I couldn't agree on exactly where so we just never did it. We have a Charmglow 3 burner gas grill, it's ok but by far not my favorite. It is the storm cooker but we use it when we are lazy.
We also have a really nice smoker that can either smoke or cook. We have hickory and pecan trees so wood is not an issue ;)

Then we have a pit for parties, oysters, BBQ whatever. It gets the most use :D

Thanks jade.
Crabber - I love fire pits. A friend of mine has one. In summer when the heat of a fire is unwelcome, he fills it with ice and bottles of beer. Always enjoy going to his house, although he must think I am a control freak as I always end up taking over the BBQ. He made himself ill once, so cooks all the food for a long time. The burgers are cooked until they are 25% of their original size. More suitable as a weapon than a meal. :)

I like the dual usage of the fire pit! That's cool. ( pardon the pun) :D

LOL! Yes.....Open fire cooking is a talent, and over cooking is usually the most problematic issue for those who are under skilled.There is just a perfect temp and time to make the difference between delectable and incineration ;).

We smoke a lot of seafoods for a gourmet market, so knowing what temp for safe consumption is a must.
Both Tim and I make most of our own rubs and marinades. As most good cooks, we do not use exact measurements we wing it as we go.

I wish I lived close to you/that market! Seafood is my fave thing. Crab, prawn, oysters, mussels etc. The only thing I just don't get is lobster, crab is half the price and twice the taste in my opinion.

I now understand your username:)

So mikiejack, what was the first meal?

We're grilling mackeral and zuchinni tonight. Never have cooked mackeral but the sale price was really good.

If it stops raining, I think it will have to be something basic like burgers, sausages, and corn. That way I can get used to how the BBQ cooks, and holds heat. After that, everything I can get my hands on :).

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back