let's talk Thanksgiving

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

What will you do for thanksgiving this year
Where will you go, are your having it at your home, what will you serve/eat
Ya know.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I'm assuming everything will be the same this year. My wife starts cooking a couple of days ahead and works too hard, but she will do it as long as she is able. There will be roast turkey and baked ham, mashed potatoes ala Fiona, sweet potatoes, dressing, Jello/beet salad, tossed salad, cauliflower casserole, cranberry sauce, and pies (pecan, apple, and pumpkin). We will be joined by my older daughter and her small brood along with whatever extra guests are brought along. I bake biscuits to go with the meal. We started a tradition about 25 years ago where each one around our table expresses what we are thankful for in the past year. I have never escaped that time without my eyes leaking.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will be here this year. I will have my three children and their other half also all of my grandchildren and another half(boyfriend). That will be 14 people here. We will have smoked turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, dressing, a salad, cranberry sauce, homemade bread, pumpkin pie. That is for Thurs. on Fri we are having a barbque in the back yard. We will have brats, and steak fajitas, a bean dish, potato salad, pickles, chips, queso, and lots to drink. It is my 60th birthday. If any of you are in Austin just drop in we will be in the back yard. Then they will all head home on the weekend except son who will be living here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess this year is going to be a sad little Thanksgiving for us. My grands just moved 1/2 way across the state and will be spending Thanksgiving with their daddy's side of the family. One would think we could blend families and spend the day as we should but that is not possible. Si Tim and I may end up going to Church for dinner tpo be with our "other" family. Or maybe the Holiday Inn for the buffet. Seems silly to cook a ton of food for just the 2 of us. I could have another "homelss" Thanksgiving for those with no family. Hmmmm maybe I will do that. Last time we had 36 people show up.

Bluewolf

not goin anywheres
not doin anything
probably will just eat junk food

I don't really care about Thanksgiving
and do not like turkey

Spider_Lily

We're having our Thanksgiving on the 14th. Our daughter and hubby's coming home that weekend her hubby's in the Air Force and has to work Thanksgiving day.We will be cooking a turkey breast and ham,dressing,dumpling's,potato salad,peas,fried okra,pecan pie,coconut pie, red velvet cake.Probably a few othe request before then.But as far as Thanksgiving Day we will probably have something quick and easy.

Kya D

If you got family around on the 14th then that is thanksgiving.

Wolfie you are too funny.
CG I am so sorry the lil ones are so far away.
Ya know you are loved by bunches of us. I'm with you if it were just the 2 of us we would go out too.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabber, my other son-in-law (Ruben) is quite active in AA and he will often bring some of his AA acquaintences for our Thanksgiving. We just set extra places as my wife makes far more food than we need.

shadylane5acres

Duck with wild rice. Pumpkin pie and a veggie or three. Home made bread. One of the best family gatherings no fuss and a lot of chit chat and family time. We usually start the Christmas holiday out at this time with "It's a wonderful life" and "Christmas Story" after dishes are done we all sit and moan "that we ate too much"

gonepostal

A very dear friend of mine used to have a Thanksgiving dinner for anyone who was going to be alone on that day. He would get the bird ready & put it in the oven, then go hunting for the day. Some of us "girls" (LOL) would go in to camp later in the day & get the veggies ready & anything else we were having. Usually--depending on how good a hunting day it was---he would be back and have most of the stuff ready anyway!!! He used to love doing this.
Sometimes there were just a few of us---sometimes there were a lot. As this is a big "hunting & fishing" area, he would invite anyone that was here hunting (without their families) also! He just didn't want anyone to be alone on the "holiday"!
He is not with us any more & we miss him terribly--but a few friends have tried to keep Joeys "tradition" going. I have not gone the last few years--mostly because of my circumstances--but mostly because it's just not the same without Joey!!! But I do have wonderful memories of these very special times!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are two that we "must" watch every year also. The biscuits I make are home made too but are sourdough biscuits.

Kya D

Way to go Bob...
Maybe we can use the recipes from here when our family comes over for THANKSGIVING

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son , Lysle, has decided he wants to do Thanksgiving at his house! OMG this is a big deal as he NEVER has guest over. Well never maybe strong but WOW I am shocked. He will somke a Turkey and I will make our favorite sides.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our girls haven't made any suggestion like that, but they are helping more with the sides. I will bake some sourdough biscuits and stay out of the way the rest of the time.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com