lily ???

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

I got pink rain lilies from Maggie last november. Anyways they have been potted since march and where in the green house but never got any leaves on them now they are blooming with just flowers and no leaves. HAve I done something wrong and will they get leaves next year. I will have to dig them again as they are an annual here in the north. Any help would be great. thanks

Attachments

• all pictures 206.jpg
    all pictures 206.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 284
Oh gosh no you didn't do anything wrong. They are one of the funniest lilies I have ever had. If not potted they will wlak . Here in Fl you see them growing along side the road. Sometimes they will be in a dormant like state forever, then one day when conditions are right they just pop up with a bloom. The most leaves I have ever seen has been 2, very thin fine type leaves, but usually there are no leaves. I found a way to force bloom them. Make sure they are in full sun very hot for maybe a day or so and dry. Then move them to a partially shaded area and water the heck out of them. I guess that's why they call them rain lilies! I remeber them from my child hood we use to think it was so cool that they would just be in the middle of no where .

I got pink rain lilies from Maggie last november. Anyways they have been potted since march and where in the green house but never got any leaves on them now they are blooming with just flowers and no leaves. HAve I done something wrong and will they get leaves next year. I will have to dig them again as they are an annual here in the north. Any help would be great. thanks

Mine do the same thing.
They are Zephyr Lilies, related to amaryllis.
Keep them well watered and fertilize them every other week and they will bloom all summer and well into the fall. I use a water soluable type 15-30-15 at half strength.
They will leaf out!!
They can take full sun, but partial sun is best with shade in the afternoon so they do not cook in the heat!
I have mine in pots that I bring indoors in the late fall, an store them dry over the winter. In early April you can place them in a sunny window and start watering them again.

Lovely flower, Sunflower, so I'd be content that it has bloomed. Great advice from others. I THINK there are so many varieties of lilies that it really is difficult to 'master' lilies. Mine have rarely bloomed before and now......excessive water=

Attachments

• June trip to Pgh and lilies 019 (2)  EM.jpg
    June trip to Pgh and lilies 019 (2) EM.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 285
  • red and pink llily 004 (2)  EM.jpg
    red and pink llily 004 (2) EM.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 292
Thanks everyone for the help, thought it was me, but if thats how they grow then there's nothing I can do.
Curbhopper I love your red and pink lilies, very nice, Here's my pink splice lily.

Attachments

• all pictures 224.jpg
    all pictures 224.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 295
Glad you got a bloom Sunflower. This is one pot of mine and in the fall I set the pots under the house until spring and then bring them out and start watering. Mine bloom all summer but I have to water them everyday.

Attachments

• lily rain 1.jpg
    lily rain 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 284
WOW maggie, your have leaves, mine don't but they are blooming one ata atime for me, maybe next year they will be better.

KayD my daughter got that lily for me and I just love the color. I made a mistake though it's not pink splice it's pink charm..

I have never had any luck with these lilies so it MAY be that we have had tons of rain(which I THOUGHT would rot them bulbs) and more sunlight b/c of trees being cut down. I have no daylillies any more. But look at my neighbor's ~ she lives in a single family, right behind our t/h :

Attachments

• Egan's lilies 002 (2)  GF insert.jpg
    Egan's lilies 002 (2) GF insert.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Egan's lilies 006 (2)  GF.jpg
    Egan's lilies 006 (2) GF.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 280
Hello,
I have ever seen has been 2, very thin fine type leaves, but usually there are no leaves. I found a way to force bloom them. Make sure they are in full sun very hot for maybe a day or so and dry. Then move them to a partially shaded area and water the heck out of them.the house until spring and then bring them out and start watering. Mine bloom all summer but I have to water them everyday.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back