Look what I found

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

Look what I found blooming this morning.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 355

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice!
A double hardy hibiscus.....hope you let it go to seed so you can send me some!!!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
very nice, love the color, i would love to have some seeds too if you have any to share thanks

Blueaussi

Is that a Confederate Rose? It's lovely. It doesn't appear mine is going to bloom this year. Laurie, I don't think it would be winter hardy up your way.

Spider_Lily

Hibiscus mutabilis is an old-fashioned perennial or shrub hibiscus better known as the Confederate rose. It tends to be shrubby or treelike in Zones 9 and 10, though it behaves more like a perennial further north. Flowers are double and are 4 to 6 inches in diameter; they open white or pink, and change to deep red by evening. The 'Rubra' variety has red flowers. Bloom season usually lasts from summer through fall. Propagation by cuttings root easiest in early spring, but cuttings can be taken at almost any time. When it does not freeze, the Confederate rose can reach heights of 12 to 15 feet with a woody trunk; however, a multi-trunk bush 6 to 8 feet tall is more typical. Once a very common plant throughout the South, Confederate rose is an interesting and attractive plant that grows in full sun or partial shade, and prefers rich, well-drained soil.
I will try to save seed they are very easy to mold before they dry enough to gather.

Blueaussi

There is one in the parking lot of the Littleton Street Methodist Church in Camden that is a tree, and is just gorgeous every fall. Most of Camden is Zone 7, but I always thought the microclimate must be a little warmer there for it to thrive so.

Mine is tree form, too, but it's up against the house on the south side, so it's very sheltered. It's also too big for that spot...I expected it to take the shrub form! I plan on cutting it down this spring and making lots and lots of little Confederate Rose plants.

Treva

BEAUTIFUL!
Mine are just starting to bloom also, I have 1 huge Pink Tree, a smaller pink tree and one that just bloomed this year...it has both pink and white blooms! i did not know they did this!!!:D
Hibiscus mutabilis is an old-fashioned perennial or shrub hibiscus better known as the Confederate rose. It tends to be shrubby or treelike in Zones 9 and 10, though it behaves more like a perennial further north. Flowers are double and are 4 to 6 inches in diameter; they open white or pink, and change to deep red by evening. The 'Rubra' variety has red flowers. Bloom season usually lasts from summer through fall. Propagation by cuttings root easiest in early spring, but cuttings can be taken at almost any time. When it does not freeze, the Confederate rose can reach heights of 12 to 15 feet with a woody trunk; however, a multi-trunk bush 6 to 8 feet tall is more typical. Once a very common plant throughout the South, Confederate rose is an interesting and attractive plant that grows in full sun or partial shade, and prefers rich, well-drained soil.
I will try to save seed they are very easy to mold before they dry enough to gather.

Spider_Lily

There is one in the parking lot of the Littleton Street Methodist Church in Camden that is a tree, and is just gorgeous every fall. Most of Camden is Zone 7, but I always thought the microclimate must be a little warmer there for it to thrive so.

Mine is tree form, too, but it's up against the house on the south side, so it's very sheltered. It's also too big for that spot...I expected it to take the shrub form! I plan on cutting it down this spring and making lots and lots of little Confederate Rose plants.[/QUOTE

Cut some of mine down before frost hit's them.Cut into piece's.I have a large tote i fill it with good potting soil stick my cutting in the soil close together.Cover with straw and wait till they peep out in the spring then transplant.

K

Kale

Very pretty and good for you we have 40-to 50 deg temps here It is horrible..

I have 2 hibiscus tree forms.one is orange double and the other single pink... I think Never blooms all summer, I bring them in and they, well the double one (orange) blooms like mad,only in a certain spot though, tried several places indoors, just likes to be where my computer chair is*LOL true statement..I move it and it get bent out of shape..Now..my question is I have not looked for seed when will I find them ? Is it in that little ball that forms after the bloom completes its cycle and falls? It hasnt bloomed in so long I nearly forgot what it does*LOL They were about to bloom but I had to cut them back to fit them in the house*lol I stuck the cuttings in water...
They know when it is time to come in *LOL

Kale:)

Spider_Lily

I have a few more this morning thought I would share.Double Morning Glory.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 349
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 349

Spider_Lily

A few more Datura,Confederate Rose Hibiscus:)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 327

Spider_Lily

A few more

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 331
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 333

Spider_Lily

I don't know what kind or name this rose is. I rooted it from a bouquet of rose's my daugther got from her hubby.From a florist.This is only the second rose it has made.Can't wait to see it next Spring.:)

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 09 009.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 009.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Mom's flowers 09 010.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 010.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 340
K

Kale

WOW! Congratulations! Don't know..
Is that the same color as when you received it?
Is it now in the same place you started it or was it potted and transplanted?
How many stems now and when did you plant it?
You can ask the florist,she may know, but don't count on it.
That is great!

Congrats again!

Spider_Lily

WOW! Congratulations! Don't know..
Is that the same color as when you received it?It was a bouquet of lite pink rosebud's.The rose is different than the bouqet roses.
Is it now in the same place you started it or was it potted and transplanted?It's still in the pot I rooted it in.Waiting for it to grow will Trans plant in the Spring.
How many stems now and when did you plant it?It has two stem's now and a bud.
You can ask the florist,she may know, but don't count on it.Don't know the florist came ups.
That is great!

Congrats again!

:):):):):)

Spider_Lily

Thought I would share my yellow brug with you.The frost hasn't hurt it yet.

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 09 001.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 001.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Mom's flowers 09 002.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 002.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Mom's flowers 09 003.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 003.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Mom's flowers 09 004.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 004.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 309
  • Mom's flowers 09 005.JPG
    Mom's flowers 09 005.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 323
K

Kale

Oh stop bragging*LOL ...
We are not in gardening season here :( Frost/freeze came already for a few weeks, killed much. Then, now warmed up a bit...

Alabama is the place to be!
Congratulations!
They are gorgeous! I bet my Mi season is too short to get those blooms!
Enjoy those blooms while the are in their glory!
Thanks For Sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com