looking for sumac.....

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

flybynyte

namely rhus typhina 'tiger eyes' & also rhus aromatica 'gro-low' & rhus trilobata (three leaf sumac).

have: white garden phlox
canna (bengal tiger)
creeping phlox (blue)
daylily (stella d'oro)
bearded iris (blue/white variety---neighbor did not know name when she gave me some)
monarda 'petite delight'
cosmos 'cosmic orange' (seeds)
alyssum 'basket of gold' (volunteer)
sedum 'dragons blood'

kinda new at this "trading business", so, i realize we are getting rather close to the end of this season. i reside in ne/sd-z4, so, it may be that this might have to wait till next spring.

Dor

Hello and welcome to GF. Glad to have you join us. Sorry I don't have much of what you are looking for and it is late in my growing season and I want to divide my daylilies in the spring. I am new at this so I don't want to kill them by doing it now.

flybynyte

Hello and welcome to GF. Glad to have you join us. Sorry I don't have much of what you are looking for and it is late in my growing season and I want to divide my daylilies in the spring. I am new at this so I don't want to kill them by doing it now.

thanks for the welcome Dor!

ummm, maybe i am misreading your message(?), but, the latter list of plants are ones that i would be willing to trade---or, even postage for the sumac. not sure why the sumac "popped" into my head so late in the season. haha guess i was thinking maybe if i got lucky, i could get them in the ground right away and that would give them about a month to take hold. cutting it close, i would think. probably something to look forward to adding next spring.

Dor

thanks for the welcome Dor!

ummm, maybe i am misreading your message(?), but, the latter list of plants are ones that i would be willing to trade---or, even postage for the sumac. not sure why the sumac "popped" into my head so late in the season. haha guess i was thinking maybe if i got lucky, i could get them in the ground right away and that would give them about a month to take hold. cutting it close, i would think. probably something to look forward to adding next spring.

Welcome again Flybynte. It is my fault. I misread your post. I thought you were looking for the ones posted instead of the sumac. I am not sure what it is. I will look it up. What is your planting zone and where do you live? I am in zone 9 and we have a long growing season but it is still very hot here. I sure hope it begins to cook off soon. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

flybynyte

Welcome again Flybynte. It is my fault. I misread your post. I thought you were looking for the ones posted instead of the sumac. I am not sure what it is. I will look it up. What is your planting zone and where do you live? I am in zone 9 and we have a long growing season but it is still very hot here. I sure hope it begins to cook off soon. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

no biggee, at all!

i just happen to be flipping thru one of my 'high country garden' magazines a number of days ago. noticed a couple of varieties of sumac that would interest me (note: typhina, aromatica, and trilobata). plus, i do have an area i would like to fit them into. as a child, i remember having a sumac tree/shrub growing on that property. brought wonderful fall color!

you can find sumac growing in the wild around the area---could be wrong, but, think that's the ol' "staghorn" variety? you will see more of it if you cross over into western and northern minnesota. i do have a neighbor that just planted some sumac---believe he just went and dug up some in the country this spring.

i live in zone 4, in ne/south dakota. we have reached the time of year where it's "sweatshirts in the morning, and, t-shirts in the afternoon"---so, i would imagine my neighbors sumac should be turning color very soon. also, it IS getting late in the season for planting most things---so, that's why i had mentioned in the earlier post this project may have to wait till next spring :(

have a great Labor Day weekend!!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com