Lots of us raise chickens

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have almost 100 hens so I really don't name them.
I did name the peacocks and pea hens. But there are only 7 of them.
The 1st 3 we got are Bill, Hillary and Monica... the last ones we got are Brother Brigham
and his women Emily, Clarissa, and Eliza..

I love it when the males get their tails and court the ladies. They have their tails and will soon start courting.

I've seen them strut and drum. They can put on quite a show. We don't have any, but for awhile we did have a male use one of our trees for roosting. Each evening, we would gather and watch him arrive and settle in for the evening. Haven't seen or heard any though for several years now.

We have a little mixture of chickens..and we also adopted a bunch of gamecock roosters. That's a long story but the short is, someone was caught fighting roosters and had these. We adopted them so the wildlife department would not put them to sleep. As they fight each other, they are housed in separate pens. We're slowly finding homes for them..there's about 20 of them. We've just started with chickens again.

Attachments

• tn_chickens & Daffs 006.jpg
    tn_chickens & Daffs 006.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 289
  • tn_chickens & Daffs 016.jpg
    tn_chickens & Daffs 016.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 298
Gloria those are a beautiful bunch of hens and your big ol rooster is purdy too.
The rooster in the pen is beautiful, to bad he has had such a rough life.

The hen that is standing behind your rooster what kind is she? Or are there 2 right behind him.

dear gloria it's so nice that you were able to help those poor roosters..i have just never understood how people can be cruel to defenseless sport...i know farmers need to keep deer populations down if they are to keep their crops and i don't have a problem with that...even if they make a sport of it at least they usually eat what they kill...but pitting roosters and dogs against each other is a travesty to me...i'm not a PETA person(and there's nothing wrong with that i think every one is entitled to their own opinion)i think some animals are raised for human consumption...i love a good steak and have had my cowhide leather coat for over 20 years(and it shows!)and i like to watch the ponies run..but i would not want them to be mistreated.

i wanted to say>>ihave just never understood how people can be cruel to defenseless animals for sport>>>but i didn't know how to edit w/o having to retype it all...ok i'm off my soap box for now...

There's a little button on the bottom right of the posting. Click on that and do your editing and when done, click on 'save'. You do only have a limited amount of time to edit though. I think it is 6 hours, but I am not sure.

:D LOL...I had to do it. No seriously though if I could raise chickens here I would, but I cant even keep a veggie garden alive for the year atm.:(
I loved the days on the farm when I was growing up with the horses, chickens, turkeys, and pigs. If I ever get enough to buy a nice piece of land I will be looking for that kind of life again and have more animals then I can count. I remember the worst experience happened with all of our chics when it rained real hard all day and night and my older brother was supposed to make sure the chicks were in the coupe and the hatch locked. Well he did'nt and I spent the next afternoon shoveling 100's of dead chicks.

KYA, sorry I missed your question. I don't know what type of hen she is..I call her Betty Boop. She looks as of she has a wig on. We have a couple different varieties. Here's a better pic.

Attachments

• hens.jpg
    hens.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 310
Tonya, I agree, I get so angry when I hear about the pitting of one animal with another. I had a neighbor that is serving 15 years in jail for just that. I'm glad he was caught and put away..but he deserves more years than that. The case on the roosters is still pending.
As you said, putting meat on the table is one thing.. but for fun, that's another and one I think should carry a very stiff penalty.

KYA, sorry I missed your question. I don't know what type of hen she is..I call her Betty Boop. She looks as of she has a wig on. We have a couple different varieties. Here's a better pic.

I love it! Man , chickens are the best . They make great pets too!

Tonya, I agree, I get so angry when I hear about the pitting of one animal with another. I had a neighbor that is serving 15 years in jail for just that. I'm glad he was caught and put away..but he deserves more years than that. The case on the roosters is still pending.
As you said, putting meat on the table is one thing.. but for fun, that's another and one I think should carry a very stiff penalty.

I will try to stay off my soap box. Here in Fl cock fights are illegal and they still happen daily. We have a large ethnic community whos heritage is steeped in this behavior. It just boils my blood. I am not a PETA person but I can see no good coming from the fighting of animals. Let's just say the animals banned together and made us fight each other to the death. Then how would we feel about it??????

Crabber, it's illegal here too but it continues to happen. The rooster fighting thing was busted a few months back and a load of people have been charged, not only here in SC but the ring of idiots covered a couple other states too. Our adopted roosters have never been fought, they would have been once they reached a certain age..I think 3 years old. Roosters that are fought have been injected with steriods and such and I'd guess that it was best to put those down. We enjoy watching our chickens, RJ has turned them into pets. They eat out of his hand and follow him around the yard like a puppy...toooo cute!

i wish i could have chickens...i hope you guys will post occasionally so i can live vicariously through you...we don't have enough space and i'm sure sam the dog would not be a good companion to chix...the squirrels torment him..he's fast but not that fast!i thought about getting guinea hens but we have foxes too, i thought maybe they might be fiesty enough to take on ol' sam dog but i am afraid the foxes would get them, oh and there's probably some zoning ordinance that would prohibit it.:(

My wayward hen showed up. I tols Tim she was on the nest , he was sure the fox had gotten her. She's back , we call her Brittany affter Brittany Spears when the guy was on youtube and said "Just leave Brittany alone". We were fostering dogs who would "hound" her all the time. Anyway she is about 8 years old . We love her. I'll have to post a pic.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back