Magnolia Bush Issue

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Adamgrey80

Hi! I have a beautiful magnolia bush (I think its a Star Magnolia?) that has been doing very well for two years (see attached "healthy" picture) until I replanted it 2 feet away from its original location 2 months ago. Now it is not doing great; it does have leaves but they are very small and they should be much fuller at this point in the season. There is also evidence of fungicide despite ongoing copper fungicide treatment for the past 1.5 years. It gets pretty much full sun and has well-draining, slightly wet, neutral soil. The mulch has been pulled back from the trunk but there is weed fabric over the drip line. Is it struggling just because of the transplant or might something else be going on? Will it revive next spring?

Attachments

• Current 6.5.20.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 225
Hi Adam!
Magnolias can be finicky!
One issue is that they resent having their roots system disturbed. They have a shallow root system, so damage can be easily done when moving them and working the soil around them.
Since your dug it up and cut off and damaged the root system it went into shock.
With a reduced root system it will only grow enough leaves to keep it alive....and it looks sad! Don't expect any lush growth this year.
Pruning it back a bit and removing some of the lower branches will more then likely help.
Here's some info that might help: They like evenly moist soil that is slightly on the acidic side. You will need to water often...especially for the rest of this year.
Use a fertilizer designed for acid loving plants.

Good luck!
Ron

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back