Major Ant Problem!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I have ants everywhere in my garden. There are some ant beds in the yard so I assume that is where they are coming from. But I dont know if they are harmful to my vegetable plants or if its normal. I really want to get rid of them but haven't found anything to work. Please help..!!

I have okra, peppers, squash, zucchini, tomatos, cukes, bean plant, rosemary, eggplant...

latebloomer

Kallie, are they the big black or black and red ones? If so, this type is more interested in rotting cellulose than live plants.

Spider_Lily

I have ant's here to .After every rain the pop up new bed's all over the yard.Nothing seem's to help that I have tried either.Just move over and rebuild.They get on my feet almost every time I go out.:eek:

sunflower3

sweet & low will kill them as it contains Aspartame, which was originally designed as an ant poison.
I hope this helps!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That could be a valuable bit of information. I'll have to get some of that. I've already got the ants.

Melissa

I have them this year as well. They have made these big mounds around some of my plants. They are crawling over everything...mostly the little red that bite but some big black. Its making seed collection quite unpleasant. They have taken over the hummer feeders...do you know if the sweet and low would be harmful for the hummers?

sunflower3

I have them this year as well. They have made these big mounds around some of my plants. They are crawling over everything...mostly the little red that bite but some big black. Its making seed collection quite unpleasant. They have taken over the hummer feeders...do you know if the sweet and low would be harmful for the hummers?

Other things to avoid using in feeders include artificial sweeteners and non-nutritive sweeteners such as saccharin (Sweet'N Low), aspartame (Equal), sucralose (Splenda), and stevia. Though hummingbirds might drink feeder solutions containing these sugar substitutes, they will be starved of the calories they need to sustain their metabolism.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ants will eat you Okra :( Sorry. They attack the buds and deform them if they don't kill the bud altogether. Neem oil ( Organic at Lowes) will help control them. For lager ant beds not near plants you can use boiling water poured down the center of the bed. I am in Florida so I bet you have the wonderful fire ants. :eek: Don't even try the old wives tale of grits there is no truth to it. If you are not a dedicated organic gardener then try amdro by ortho it works well but is very toxic. It will kill the entire colony with one treatment. Available at Lowes or Homdept and ACE.
By the way welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have plenty of ants already, thank you. LOL I have never tried the boiling water though. I might give that a whirl too.

Melissa

I use the store bought HB nectar...maybe add some sweet and lo to it if its not harmful to the hummers...Hummers will have their nectar with a little diet after taste...and the ants will be no more. I wonder why they are so bad this year...have never had them like this before.

GardenBear1

I would be careful on killing the ants, some plants need them to bloom, like Peony,I have a few cactus that will not bloom if there no ants, right now I have 3 cactus that have set buds and there are ants all over them and with it taken over 4 years to bloom I would hate to see the buds dry up and die, I've learn to live with the ants and spider in my garden and shade house

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live with them well also but there are those time:eek: You are very right about the pollenation though.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have ants in my kitchen, the big black ones. Can i put sweet n low in a dish and that will take care of them?? Don't want to use any chemicals cause of my babies,. You know how kitties are

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use Diatomaceous earth! It's safe! Spinkle it where you see them coming from, and any trails they follow!
I use it around the door jam to kill off earwigs before they get into the house! They give me the creeps! I can handle spiders, but draw the line when it comes to these pests!
No sign of any ants in the house!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have ants in my kitchen, the big black ones. Can i put sweet n low in a dish and that will take care of them?? Don't want to use any chemicals cause of my babies,. You know how kitties are

Laurie,
They make an organic mint oil spary for use in lithcens for ant control.. Even if you can not find the product you can buy mint oil at an organic store just a drop here and there will keep them away. ;)

I guess it could be used in the outdoor application that started this thread I kind of forgot about it. I guess Kallie could mix mint oil in water and spray her plants.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use Diatomaceous earth! It's safe! Spinkle it where you see them coming from, and any trails they follow!
I use it around the door jam to kill off earwigs before they get into the house! They give me the creeps! I can handle spiders, but draw the line when it comes to these pests!
No sign of any ants in the house!

Great idea Ron. Tim was stung by a scorpion on Friday. It was in side his jeans when he put them on. Made him sick but at least he is not as sensitive as I am. I would have been in the ER from that little bug. Now I am all freaked out. Some ear wigs also have a bite. I hate them they give me the creeps too.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com