Mandevilla

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

M

Mari-Jo

I am overwintering my Mandevilla, again.............had one year before last, and DH, cut
it "right" back, and never did come back.........got a new one, cut it back half way, and took forever to bloom.........so, its in again, and not cut back..........how far do I need to trim it back? Its standing about 5 1/2-6ft.
I feel so bad for it,as I am sure whatever I do at this point will put it into shock..............:eek: Need some feedback on this..........:)

M

Mari-Jo

Thanks Debe...........we do have it in the house now .......I didn't know that taking a cutting would root........wonder if I can do that now, although I really don't need two of them...............but they are sooo pretty..........:)

K

Kale

Mari-Jo,I don't know of this plant life. Is it a bush or hedge (grows over ten feet) in a tree form elsewhere?
Have you a pic.? I may be able to help you. It may just be fine indoors but babies are always fun.You can give it away or trade come spring.

Found this.
http://www.plant-care.com/mandevilla-overwintering.html

It is a nice looking plant!
What color do you have?

It's a vine?

Kale:)

M

Mari-Jo

Rule of thumb in most blooming plants is no more than 1/3 of the total plant;)

Thanks..........and now you mentioin that, I probably knew that.........oh, the older I get, the more I forget.........:eek::)

M

Mari-Jo

Mari-Jo,I don't know of this plant life. Is it a bush or hedge (grows over ten feet) in a tree form elsewhere?
Have you a pic.? I may be able to help you. It may just be fine indoors but babies are always fun.You can give it away or trade come spring.

Found this.
http://www.plant-care.com/mandevilla-overwintering.html

It is a nice looking plant!
What color do you have?

It's a vine?

Thanks......good info there. I have the Red, but it seems to start off Pink. I have never seen it in the ground in this area, but pics I have seen, they seem to be more of a vine...........I guess I could try it in the ground for summer, and see what it does, just not sure I have the room.
I do see by that info, I need to get it in more sun. I have no idea how tall they grow.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks..........and now you mentioin that, I probably knew that.........oh, the older I get, the more I forget.........:eek::)

You poor thing! That is not happening to any of the rest of us:rolleyes: That's why we have this forum, just maybe one of us will remember:p

K

Kale

Mari Jo I was just looking through my Palm One and interestingly enough I found this.

I have been pondering this plant since I posted. I thought I have heard of it somewhere..I couldn't place where.. thought I was just mixed up from all the excitement *LOL
Well...
I had seen it somewhere and thought I needed to look it up to see if I can grow it with roses,I have been looking for a vine for my roses to hangout with while I was not with them. You know plants love companions *LOL My pruners may not be their idea of a companion *LOL so anyway,,,long story short Look at what I found!
And thank you for posting,You had me busy looking through my logs and stuff...

Now lets learn all about this vine!

Kale:D

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mari-Jo

You poor thing! That is not happening to any of the rest of us:rolleyes: That's why we have this forum, just maybe one of us will remember:p

Too funny Crabbergirl.............well I think my eye sight went along with it......LOL....didn't see this earlier.

M

Mari-Jo

Mari Jo I was just looking through my Palm One and interestingly enough I found this.

I have been pondering this plant since I posted. I thought I have heard of it somewhere..I couldn't place where.. thought I was just mixed up from all the excitement *LOL
Well...
I had seen it somewhere and thought I needed to look it up to see if I can grow it with roses,I have been looking for a vine for my roses to hangout with while I was not with them. You know plants love companions *LOL My pruners may not be their idea of a companion *LOL so anyway,,,long story short Look at what I found!
And thank you for posting,You had me busy looking through my logs and stuff...

Now lets learn all about this vine!

Kale:D
Thanks for your info Kale.............big help.:)

K

Kale

Excellent..
Now for me to "remember" to search for this plant!

Kale :)

K

Kale

I learned a little more detailed info about Dipladenia, will post when I have a few minutes and will try to remember.
Taking advantage of the fairly nice day..catch you soon:)

K

Kale

OK,
According to what I have been reading there are 6 different Dipladenia
Referred to as (Mandeville and/or Jasmine).
Do you know which is the one you have I can tell you specifically how to care!

Dipladenia amabilis
Dipladenia amoena splendens
Dipladenia sanderi
Dipladenia splendens

If you do not know the name describe the colors of the blooms in detail.
What color is the throat? That will give me the biggest clue as to the exact care.
May start off pink then turn red. are the leaves oval,oblong,shiny?
Is it in part shade and still blooms?
Is it trying to bloom now? New shoots of leaves or growth now?

M

Mari-Jo

well, I did cut it back, and its growing nicely...............actually too fast....lol..

Attachments

• 2007_0901Image0003.JPG
    2007_0901Image0003.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 378
M

Mari-Jo

Of course its not flowering now, being in the house, can't wait till I can sit it outside on the patio......and has such a beautiful fragrance

Jade

My mandevilla that I spent 50 bucks on last spring has been overwintering in the house. I expected white flies, mealybugs, thrips and spidermites and maybe scale. So far, I only see signs of thrips, a little twisting and curling in the leaves. When she goes outside I will probably treat her with a systemic insecticide and a soap spray. I did see the first buds sprouting the other day. When I got her last year she was cut way back, rebounded beautifully and gave us months of pleasure. Bruce has decided that we should be propagating her, I think that she would make nice party favors or housewarming gifts for all of the people that are moving here with the Volvo restructuring.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com