Mexico City: Colorful San Ángel and Condesa

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

April 07, 2020
San_Angel_street_jacaranda-1.jpg

Mexico City sprawls across 573 square miles, with a staggeringly large population of 8.85 million that makes it the biggest city in North America. You can’t possibly see it all, so you have to pick one neighborhood per day and plan on a 20-to-30-minute Uber ride to get there no matter which direction you’re going. On our last day in Mexico City, we visited lovely San Ángel.

El Bazaar Sábado

Bazaar_girls_new_rings-1.jpg

The girls and I were keen to do a little shopping at El Bazaar Sábado, the Saturday Market, where they bought some pretty rings and I got earrings.

Jacaranda_courtyard_El_Bazaar_Sabado-1.jpg

The bazaar, which features upscale handmade jewelry, pottery, and handicrafts, is housed in a rambling, 17th-century mansion with a courtyard shaded by a lovely old jacaranda tree.

Terracotta_pots_El_Bazaar_Sabado-1.jpg

Stacked terracotta pots make a zigzagging wall along one side of the courtyard.

Otomi_quilts_El_Bazaar_Sabado-1.jpg

Outside, more vendors sell everything from otomi wall hangings and table runners (I should have bought one, dang it) to paintings to Oaxacan blouses.

Parroquia de San Jacinto

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_8.jpg

After the market we wandered nearby streets and happened upon a pretty garden inside the walls of Parroquia de San Jacinto, or Parish of San Jacinto.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_7-1.jpg

The coral-walled church was founded in 1596 and served as a monastery until the 1700s.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_6-1.jpg

An ivy-draped wall encloses the shady garden.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_3-1.jpg

Red lava rock stacked against the wall frames a niche for a saintly figure.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_4-1.jpg

View of the church’s bell tower

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_1-1.jpg

As we strolled the garden paths, we saw a wedding party emerge from the church, pausing at the doors for a group photo.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_2-1.jpg

It was a perfect day for it.

Parroquia_de_San_Jacinto_San_Angel_5-1.jpg

As the wedding party paraded through the garden, we slipped out.

San Ángel’s colorful streets

San_Angel_red_wall_fountain-1.jpg

The colorful stucco buildings of San Ángel are a photographer’s delight.

San_Angel_red_wall_courtyard_garden-1.jpg

San_Angel_red_wall_niche-1.jpg

San_Angel_red_wall_bougainvillea-1.jpg

San_Angel_yucca_tree-1.jpg

We wandered through the quiet neighborhood streets, pausing to admire dramatic yuccas…

San_Angel_clivia-1.jpg

…and tangerine-flowered clivia…

San_Angel_horse_wall-1.jpg

…and the occasional surprise like this stone horse, which appears to be leaping through a wall.

San_Angel_niche_Madonna_bouquet-1.jpg

A pretty shrine adorned with a bouquet of flowers.

Lunch at San Ángel Inn

San_Angel_Inn_courtyard-1.jpg

We had a lunch reservation at the elegant San Ángel Inn and were seated in the garden courtyard.

San_Angel_Inn_menu.jpg

San_Angel_Inn_lunch-1.jpg

Everything was absolutely delicious.

San_Angel_Inn_bougainvillea-1.jpg

As we departed, I had to stop and take a photo of yet another gorgeous jacaranda.

Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo House Studio Museum

Diego_Rivera_studio_museum_Cacti_1-1.jpg

Just across the street from the San Ángel Inn is the Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo House Studio Museum, or Museo Casa Estudio Diego Rivera y Frida Kahlo. The married artists lived and worked here in separate houses connected by a catwalk bridge.

Diego_Rivera_studio_museum_Cacti_2-1.jpg

“Designed by the couple’s friend, the architect and artist Juan O’Gorman, this was Kahlo and Rivera’s first proper marital home. It’s actually two houses joined by a bridge. They lived here from 1934 to 1939 and divorced in that year. Kahlo moved back to the Blue House [Casa Azul in Coyoacan] and when she and Rivera remarried the following year, he moved to join her there, though he kept the San Angel house as his studio.”

Diego_Rivera_studio_museum_Cacti_4-1.jpg

Naturally Frida’s house is painted the same thrumming shade of blue as her more-famous Blue House/Casa Azul.

Diego_Rivera_studio_museum_Cacti_3.jpg

I didn’t go inside but just admired the modernist structures from outside a “fence” of columnar cactus.

Art Deco park in Condesa

Condesa_park_Art_Deco_play_area-1.jpg

Another afternoon, we’d Ubered over to Condesa neighborhood to explore for an hour or so before twilight. We happened upon an Art Deco-era park, Parque México, where families were playing, little kids were riding bikes, and dogs were chasing balls thrown by their owners.

Condesa_park_trumpet_player-1.jpg

Along shady paths outlined by clipped hedges, faux bois sheltered benches offer trysting spots for kissing couples and this guy playing a trumpet.

Condesa_park_banana-1.jpg

A banana’s paddle-shaped leaves reach for the sunlight.

Condesa_park-1.jpg

Shades of green

Via Verde highway greening

Via_Verde_planted_highway_columns-1.jpg

I’ll close with this image snapped through an Uber’s windshield: vertical gardens of succulents and other plants greening up the columns of a busy highway. Later I learned it’s called Via Verde, and it’s not without controversy over its effectiveness in actually improving air quality, something desperately needed in smoggy Mexico City, versus mere aesthetic appeal. I have to say, though: the aesthetic appeal is pretty appealing!

This ends my series about Mexico City. For a look back at the creative botanical garden at Bosque de Chapultepec, click here. I hope you’ve enjoyed the armchair travel during this anxiety-inducing time of self-quarantine. We’ll get through this, and in the meantime I’m especially grateful for your online company!

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post Mexico City: Colorful San Ángel and Condesa appeared first on Digging.

4ANQf04aoaU

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back