Mint and Basil

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I am going to be growing basil and mint in pots this year, I'm wondering are only the leaves edible? If I dry them on the stems(like drying flowers) do I just use the leaves? Thanks:D

johnl

Best way to use the stems of pretty much any herb is to chop it into fine pieces and use just as you would with the leaves.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to be growing basil and mint in pots this year, I'm wondering are only the leaves edible? If I dry them on the stems(like drying flowers) do I just use the leaves? Thanks:D
I dry it all and then chop it up like I do when I’m using fresh. I have basil and mint in containers.

Reactions: bob

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I’ve added sage, thyme,dill to pots. I have oregano, and garlic chives in my garden. I also have some parsley in a pot. Life would be pretty bland without our herbs.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have several mint varieties in post, as well as oregano, thyme, and basil.
My cilantro is so prolific that I never need to replant, it is even growing in my lawn! The temps are getting to hot for it so most of it has flowered and is re-seeding.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't you love plants that reseed themselves? I used to hate it because they never reseeded where I wanted them but then I realized that if I just let them even though they moved around I always had plants. I guess if you quit fighting mother nature she will give you some beauty.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's exactly right! You can't tame mother nature.
I always figured volunteers grew where it was best for them

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com