Mint

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

What is the best way to plant mint in your garden without having it completely take over? Does it spread by root or seed?

Kya D

I have heard that people plant it in a coffee can in their garden to control it.
I haven't tried it.

GardenBear1

I cut the bottom out of a large pot and bury it about half way in the ground then plant the mint, it will keep your mint in one place for a few years, don't let the mint hang over the sides or it will take root so far I've had luck doing it this way.

Jade

I for one, have used large coffee cans with holes poked in the bottom, it works great. I agree, don't let them hang over the edge.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
All great info, I have put in large clay pots to keep it from being so invasive.

K

Kale

Which mints are you talking.
We (my little Kitty Kat and I) grow many.
They do not all behave the same way for us as of yet.

Kale:)

My mother was house sitting for us while we were out of town and she went by one of the local garden shops and picked up some mint. She got orange, chocolate, and not sure what the other one is, the tag just says mint.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a half of a wine barrel to plant our mint in. That sits on our concrete back porch. But I saw some mint growing in another half barrel that was several feet away. My guess is that some seeds were scattered by the wind.

Jade

I am thinking that I have to get a mint for our new house now. Hubby has his coffee brought over the border whenever someone "goes home", so I will save a can and sink it in my new herb bed. I love mint tea in the summer.

sfishergirl

how lucky for you I have wanted the citrus mints for awhile. Up here mint labeled 'mint' is the kind my grandmother used to pick out of the neighbors field for tea

swindy

Jade be very careful with planting mint. It will go all over the place. I had liquorish mint that was given to me as Black Basil but was really in the mint family as it had the square stems. The plant was beautiful and I loved using it's color to mix in with my flower gardens. When it flowered I let it go to seed and the wind spread those seeds all over my garden and lawn. I had millions of plants that I battled for years. I say if you want mint for your tea find a vacant lot in your area and spread the seeds there and when you want a cup of tea take awalk and pick some. lol

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My lawn has almost been replaced by mint. It is all throughout one of my neighbors and he has spent tons of money and time trying to kill it. ( go figure) It grows wild here and is highly invasive

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I had the same think in Sacto Nancie...I loved it ...when i mowed it was a wonderful smell...I love mint...and grow several types also...most iI plant in containers...but a few that i want alot of to dry and have for teas...I have taken a bed by the front door that is up by the house and cement all the way around...it is now full of mints...

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love mine too. and it helps keep fleas down. Also what a great smell when you mow:D
I want spearmint if I can find it here. might be too hot here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
peppermint is my favorite by far ....yesterday I was given a mint...or at least I think it is a mint called...Yerba Buena....Spanish for "good herb....from what I was told it is a pain reliever ...I need to do more research....I do remember as a child my granny growing something the same if not this plant..

Jade

Jade be very careful with planting mint. It will go all over the place. I had liquorish mint that was given to me as Black Basil but was really in the mint family as it had the square stems. The plant was beautiful and I loved using it's color to mix in with my flower gardens. When it flowered I let it go to seed and the wind spread those seeds all over my garden and lawn. I had millions of plants that I battled for years. I say if you want mint for your tea find a vacant lot in your area and spread the seeds there and when you want a cup of tea take awalk and pick some. lol

I will be planting it in a coffee can, so I should be able to keep it under control. It has worked fine for me for the past twenty years anyway. Either that or I will plant it in the woods, and it will be much better than the greenbriar that is there now.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
peppermint is my favorite by far ....yesterday I was given a mint...or at least I think it is a mint called...Yerba Buena....Spanish for "good herb....from what I was told it is a pain reliever ...I need to do more research....I do remember as a child my granny growing something the same if not this plant..

When you find out what it actually is let me know. A natural pain reliever is always good in the garden. I have a poor old dog ( actually 2 brother & sister) who are on rimadyl and it is way expensive. They will eat /drink anything I tell them to so that might be a better pain reiliver for them with less side effects.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
When you find out what it actually is let me know. A natural pain reliever is always good in the garden. I have a poor old dog ( actually 2 brother & sister) who are on rimadyl and it is way expensive. They will eat /drink anything I tell them to so that might be a better pain reiliver for them with less side effects.

Yes it is ....I am late this evening for a meeting ...but when I have time in the next few days I shall post the links I found on this...very interesting

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com