Moisture meters

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pedro

Hi there,
I started using a moisture meter to help me water my outdoor plants and it actually helped me since I was apparently overwatering some plants.
The problem is that to use the device, I have to stick the pointy end on the soil inside the vase and every time I do, there is the risk of damaging the roots.

Are there devices that can be left permanently on the soil, or that can measure moisture effectively without risking root damage?

Thanks in advance!

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Pedro, I was hoping somebody else might answer. I'm a bit confused, since you mentioned outdoors, but you also mentioned a vase. Are these container plants you have outdoors?

If they're in a vase, you should have them in one that has a hole to allow for drainage. If it's larger pot, I put a bit of really small rocks or gravel in the bottom to help with drainage. Once you have it set up that way, the water should drain, avoiding root rot.

As for one you can leave in place, I did find this one on Amazon. It's about $10, and looks like it might do a decent job. It's not going to give you a precise measurement, more like "wet / dry" but it could work. I've never actually tried it, so I can't vouch for how well it works. The reviews look OK though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com