Moss

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I sprinkle lime in my flower garden will it kill out the moss that is growing in it without doing damage to my plants? Thanks

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I sprinkle lime in my flower garden will it kill out the moss that is growing in it without doing damage to my plants? Thanks

Some gardeners actually cultivate moss gardens!
I've seem some wonderful miniature shade gardens were moss was used as a groundcover!
I'd leave it Laurie! If the plants are not bothered by it I wouldn't add any lime since it doesn't necessarily mean that the soil is acidic...it's probably in the neutral range! Most plants prefer the neutral range, but can survive a bit more acidic, or a bit more alkaline!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Ron
It's in the sun so maybe it's not moss. Will take a pic after all the rain has stopped and post it so you can see what it looks like. I do have some in partly shaded areas too
It started 2 summers ago and I haven't been able to really take care of the gardens the last 5 yrs so they have gotten over grown in spots and the weeds and grass have taken over other spots. My poor bulb garden is covered in grass but the daffs bloom above them.

GardenBear1

I have moss coming up in places that never had any before, some of it will stay and most will be gone as soon as I can start working out side , I like moss in the shade garden it makes the garden look older and peaceful, its a place you will find me with a book and a cup of tea

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Some gardeners actually cultivate moss gardens!
I've seem some wonderful miniature shade gardens were moss was used as a groundcover!
I'd leave it Laurie! If the plants are not bothered by it I wouldn't add any lime since it doesn't necessarily mean that the soil is acidic...it's probably in the neutral range! Most plants prefer the neutral range, but can survive a bit more acidic, or a bit more alkaline!

I have moss every where as I live in a wet place and it just adds to the beauty of the beds

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have let mine stay where it naturally grows. I now have several types and some are actuallly very cool. It will sty located only where it has a place perfect for it. I tried moving some and it died. So I have let it seek out it's area and used it to my advantage. It won't get bugs, grows year round without my care and people think it's cool ;)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moss has such a natural quiet beauty!
I have it growing in patches where grass wont grow... it even grows in cracks in the bedrock down on the beach in full sun!
It is too bad that my gardens are too dry for it to take hold!

If you would like to help it grow dilute buttermilk with half water and soak the moss a couple of time a year while it is actively growing! It will spread to form a larger colony!
To help it spread you can pull chunks of the moss and throw it into a blender with some water and a bit of buttermilk, turn on high to liquify the moss. You can then pour it where you would like it to grow!

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow cool trick Ron! Mine is mainly growing in the court yard and I have stones and rocks I was thinking it might grow on to. So I will be blending a mossy buttermilk shake ;) It actually has started up the block wall and it's very thick and soft. Last year Tim sculpted Grand Father Green Rock into planters for moss but they really need lots of attention when you take them from their homes.
I wonder how healty it would be to drink?? Hmmm I might let you know.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am told an added bonus on the buttermilk, or even milk when sprayed under your sqush plants and any that you have trouble with powdery mildew...it keeps it down off the leaf

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you like lichen you can do the same thing, but with less liquid.
Should be the consistancy of paint so you can aply it with a paint brush to rocks!
Use it on the north side of rocks and rock walls!

I heard about that Deb!
Best to use regular milk not skim! 2% should do the trick! Or, buttermilk if you dilute it!
I've tried a few times with mixed results due to the weather...if it is a rainy summer it's really hard to control mildew!

Last edited:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got some pics taken a few weeks ago, will get them on the pc this week so I can show you what it is. Got lots of daffs in bloom too that I will post

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com