moving peoni plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

I have 2 peoni plants that I would like tro move to a better location. they were started last yr from tubers (I think) And this yr one had 2 blooms (white) which was a very good size bloom. But I think they should have more sun then they are now getting. and they seem to be sitting where it stays kinda damp. What I would like to ask is now Sept., a good time to transplant peonis? And any tips or suggestions I should know about if its ok to move them. thanks
Errol:confused:

Kya D

Oh I forgot to say that peonies don't like being moved so pick a spot that they will love and leave them for several years

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One point to remember is to replant the tubers so that the red buds (next year's flower stalks) are only 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the soil surface! Make sure you pack the soil around the tuber so there's no settling of the soil after planting.
I've seen this happen, and the result was no blooms the next year, or more, until the tubers grow upwards to the right soil level! Usually the foliage will come up stunted, with no blooms, and you will wonder what happened!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
well I guess ignorance is bliss...as I moved all mine last fall...there were/are many in the yard...they were all very loarge and crowed...so i just dug and broke them apart ...as I went to a town plant swap with several...and then planted..not any ting different...just dug and plopped in the ground and covered...and WOW all were bigger and stroger and full of blooms...

Bluewolf

it is definitly to early to move them..it is to warm still

and yes do make sure the crown is just above the ground when you plant them

I redid my bed and the next year I had to go out and "lift" them a little bit

they had dinner plate sized blooms on them this year...then it winded and rained and blasted them all to peices :mad:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blue
Actually it is a good time to move them since they are finished growing for the season. You can even trim them back to move them without any adverse effect on them!

Guess Debe planted then at the right depth without realizing it!;)

errol

Ron, how much should they be trimed back? and again, I thank everyone for the quick replies. I am pretty darn green at some of this gardening!

Kya D

Errol we all love to add our 2 cents worth.
I hope you got the help you were looking for. :)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron, how much should they be trimed back? and again, I thank everyone for the quick replies. I am pretty darn green at some of this gardening!

The foliage should start to look a bit yellow rather then the usual lush green of the spring and early summer. I'd leave a length of stem to show where they are planted. Makes a good marker come spring before they send up new growth!

We're all glad to help out whenever and wherever we can!

Bluewolf

Blue
Actually it is a good time to move them since they are finished growing for the season. You can even trim them back to move them without any adverse effect on them!

Guess Debe planted then at the right depth without realizing it!;)

I was speakig more towards the heat aspect..and not enouh rain to "naturally" take care of them..my plants are still very green
and full and I wouldn't dream of seperating them for another month

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's ok Blue!
I was just speaking generally!
Guess it really depends on which zone you live in and what kind of growing season.
Drought conditions would force peonies, and other herbaceous perennials, to go dormant sooner then in other zones!
It is just my experience, watching peonies, and other perennials, that tell me when they are going dormant, and ready to be divided and or moved!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com