mum bed & Iris's

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

Since I live in middle tn, I planted a mum bed last week and its doing well. 2 days ago I divided my Bearded Iris's and decided to plant a few between the mums. I figured that way I would have beautiful color now onto in the fall of this year, then hopefully color in next spring from the iris's after the mums are cut back. I dont know if this is right or not but guess we will see. Anyone with any suggestions on this? did I do right, will this work out?
Kinda new to gardening since I retired so need ideas! thanks
Errol:)

I don't do flowers, Errol, but someone here will pop in, I'm sure. Gardening is good retirement activity.

Hi Errol,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com.
I think it sound like you have a great idea, unless your Iris are like mine and will be taking over your bed. You may find it hard to divide your Iris without uprooting your mums. I love the idea of a "calendar" garden that blooms throughout the season.

Hi there and WELCOME Errol
I agree with Crabber but if they are already planted I would give the iris a year or two before I disturbed them.
You might think of annuals mixed with the mums.

Welcome Errol, you've already gotten good tips from some of the best, I'd leave them too. I enjoy Mums and they are easy rooters. You can take cuttings and root new ones for next season. Iris are one of my very favorite flowers, I just wish the blooms would last longer. I do have a couple of re-bloomers and had a bloom or two as late as Dec.
Glad to have you join us, enjoy the forums.

thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions! I just bought 3/4 acre in middle tn a couple yrs ago , and after building a small "cottage" of 635 square foot, I am just starting to do some landscaping. The property already had 2 crabapple trees, a bradford pear tree. So we have lots of different birds and several feeders. Now I do love flowers and have started a couple of beds and in the process of getting some ready for this fall and next spring. This yr I had a couple of "mater" plants a cucumber plants which produced well, and still is. I will be reading all you guys post's to get ideas. I really want a kind of "cottage" garden. more of a "country" look. Of course I am in the country!! thanks again everyone.
Errol

I love the fruit trees. Country gardens are wounderful. I like planting so that there is always something in bloom.
I am impressed with your 635sft home. I have been looking at the "tiny House Plans" . I so am ready to reduce. Did you get your plan on line?

Crabbergirl, I did not get any plans on line although I did look at several little house plans. I just designed my own plan. total heated space is 635 square foot with an additional 12x16 ft screen in porch. makes for a nice evening or early morning relaxing without all the bugs! I have only one bedroom, 11ftx12ft , a bath/shower, a laundry room with stackable washer/dryer, the kitchen, dining, living area is one room 18x24ft with a island sink/counter. heat is with a propane fireplace. Wife and I really love it. for the last 12 yrs this oct we have been fulltime rv"ers and traveled. Before retiring we had too big of a house for only 2 people. thanks again for the replies
as you can see, I like to talk and type!! lol
Errol

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back