mum bed & Iris's

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

Since I live in middle tn, I planted a mum bed last week and its doing well. 2 days ago I divided my Bearded Iris's and decided to plant a few between the mums. I figured that way I would have beautiful color now onto in the fall of this year, then hopefully color in next spring from the iris's after the mums are cut back. I dont know if this is right or not but guess we will see. Anyone with any suggestions on this? did I do right, will this work out?
Kinda new to gardening since I retired so need ideas! thanks
Errol:)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't do flowers, Errol, but someone here will pop in, I'm sure. Gardening is good retirement activity.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Errol,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com.
I think it sound like you have a great idea, unless your Iris are like mine and will be taking over your bed. You may find it hard to divide your Iris without uprooting your mums. I love the idea of a "calendar" garden that blooms throughout the season.

Kya D

Hi there and WELCOME Errol
I agree with Crabber but if they are already planted I would give the iris a year or two before I disturbed them.
You might think of annuals mixed with the mums.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Errol, you've already gotten good tips from some of the best, I'd leave them too. I enjoy Mums and they are easy rooters. You can take cuttings and root new ones for next season. Iris are one of my very favorite flowers, I just wish the blooms would last longer. I do have a couple of re-bloomers and had a bloom or two as late as Dec.
Glad to have you join us, enjoy the forums.

errol

thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions! I just bought 3/4 acre in middle tn a couple yrs ago , and after building a small "cottage" of 635 square foot, I am just starting to do some landscaping. The property already had 2 crabapple trees, a bradford pear tree. So we have lots of different birds and several feeders. Now I do love flowers and have started a couple of beds and in the process of getting some ready for this fall and next spring. This yr I had a couple of "mater" plants a cucumber plants which produced well, and still is. I will be reading all you guys post's to get ideas. I really want a kind of "cottage" garden. more of a "country" look. Of course I am in the country!! thanks again everyone.
Errol

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the fruit trees. Country gardens are wounderful. I like planting so that there is always something in bloom.
I am impressed with your 635sft home. I have been looking at the "tiny House Plans" . I so am ready to reduce. Did you get your plan on line?

errol

Crabbergirl, I did not get any plans on line although I did look at several little house plans. I just designed my own plan. total heated space is 635 square foot with an additional 12x16 ft screen in porch. makes for a nice evening or early morning relaxing without all the bugs! I have only one bedroom, 11ftx12ft , a bath/shower, a laundry room with stackable washer/dryer, the kitchen, dining, living area is one room 18x24ft with a island sink/counter. heat is with a propane fireplace. Wife and I really love it. for the last 12 yrs this oct we have been fulltime rv"ers and traveled. Before retiring we had too big of a house for only 2 people. thanks again for the replies
as you can see, I like to talk and type!! lol
Errol

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com