My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I do have one pup around the bottom of the tree that stood in water for a week. I thought the pups were done but they seem to be coming right back :D Doing the happy dance!

Sorry about your babies Trax, they were going so well too! Hopefully your buddy can send you pics of how they're doing.
Nancie, hey well done I thought 'nanas were tough little buggers, dance all you want!:D

My 'nana is still sitting there waiting for the warm weather, still trying to keep the passionfruit from climbing all over it!

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 336
Is passion fruit a vine, Wombat? I don't know anything about passionfruit. That 'nana tree is GORGEOUS! Thanks Wombat. Curbie

Yep it's a vine Curbie this one is climbing everywhere. It's an evergreen too which is unusual as most of them lose there leaves and go dormant in winter. Not this little bugger though it's having a great time clambering over every tree and bush in my place and now it's starting to go next door! Glad my little nana is doing well it was only about a foot high when I got it,,, I'll let it know you think it's gorgeous next time we have a chat.

Thanks John;)
Yours looks every bit as good as mine and it's summer here.
I love passion fruit vines. I need to get more, someone, who didn't know what they were doing, yanked mine out of the ground :rolleyes: that person has been forbidden to "help" without supervision. they are easy to come by here , a walk through the woods should do the trick ;)

Hopefully it will double in height this year and perhaps flower, here's hoping! I know what you mean about the passionfruit vines 'appearing' birds are really good at it, nature's seed savers I call them lol

I love when people want to help and then all you want to do is beat them over the head with a baseball bat. I have never seen a passion fruit. Wouldn't know one if I tripped over it. How big are they? I'll have to explore. Birds are so funny b/c they really DO plant a LOT of seeds, one way or the other. Off to explore passion fruit! Curbie

Passionfruit are yummy Curbz and there's plenty of different varieties. It's yummy in a fruit salad or squeezed on a fresh red papaya and drizzled with fresh lime juice. A lot of folks are put off by the seeds in them but the flavour is unique and beautiful.

My little banana has put out another leaf already, bit too early. I'll have to feed it asap as it needs a lot of compost and fertilizer to keep it going......:)

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 327
Go nanna go!

If I have a chance today I will take a picture of mine. Surprisingly with all the storms we have had my leaves are not all torn up. It really looks pretty good.
FINALLY: Lysle is going to help me move the big one. We are having some driveway and fence work done and it must be moved. Lysle says he can do it so lets hear it for the strength and exuberance of a young man! I just know I couldn't do it.

My ginger didn't bloom this year :( and I know we will have a freeze this year I can feel it in the weather already. Leaves on the gum and river birch trees are already yellow. This usually doesn't happen until about Nov. I think we will have a really rough winter.

Looking forward to the 'nana survivor pics Nancie. What a good fella he is helping you move the big 'nana, they weigh a ton, all that moisture inside them. Bummer about the ginger, a couple of mine a still dormant, so I'm waiting patiently for them to come up. Hope your winter isn't too severe....

Thanks John. I hope old man winter vacations somewhere else........

I will take the pics to day if it stops raining.
My shampoo gingers are still blooming and I have to move them as well. We sure picked a bad time to renovate. I need to take before and after photos so we can compare. I am not happy about taking out 18 trees but we have to establish positive drainage in our drive. Long story but landfilling down the road causes us to flood. I will have to plant new trees.that's the up side

Finally Moved!

Ok, I know I have been talking about it forever. We finally moved my big banana tree. My super awesome son did it by hand alone!
It really only weighed about 200 lbs and the corm and root ball were realitivley small compared to the size of the tree. I think she will be happy where I put her ;)

That is my sons wife, my wonderful DIL, in the pic for size ref. and where the tree was. yes that is a huge dog of my son's.

I had to move the tree as we are doing major renovations to the yard and the house. Look for my project folder to follow along

Attachments

• nana1 (532x800).jpg
    nana1 (532x800).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 371
  • newhome nana (532x800).jpg
    newhome nana (532x800).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 362
  • newhome 1 nanna (800x532).jpg
    newhome 1 nanna (800x532).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 370
Wow Nancie what a great job he did! I know from experience how heavy and bulky they are. When I moved a large one I used to trim all but 2 of the leaves off to try and make it a little less top heavy. DIL is a real cutie too!:D

Sorry about your babies Trax, they were going so well too! Hopefully your buddy can send you pics of how they're doing.
Nancie, hey well done I thought 'nanas were tough little buggers, dance all you want!:D

My 'nana is still sitting there waiting for the warm weather, still trying to keep the passionfruit from climbing all over it!

First - @ Nancie and Wombat - Awesome banana plants! I was wondering when Nancie would finally be moving hers, lol. :p They look totally cool!

@ Wombat. I quit trying to grow bananas when I sent mine to him. They were doing really awesome then suddenly started dying. :( But somebody didn't want me to quit and bought me 2 more so now I have 2 pink bananas again. :eek: These are smaller - about 1 foot tall each - but they've been doing a lot better than the first 2 I got.
I'll post some pics when I get some time. :)

nanna is doing pretty good with the move. Thanks to Lysle....I NEVER could have done it alone. I have been trimming off leaves here and there as they turn yellow. It is a little shocky but I think if it stays warm for a while, it will be just fine. The ball wasn't all that big but it was very heavy.
@ John,
DIL is a sweetie too. I couldn't have hand picked a better girl. I just love her. I took her to have oral surgery on Thursday and I felt so bad for her. She got sick in my new truck and I thought she was going to cry. Bless her heart my son dosen't deserve her. ;)

yeah, ice cream banana is damned tasty. Maybe worth trying for me, though at my parents house we don't have a properly-suited room for keeping plants, the room we use is East-facing and not that heated. I wonder if I can convince my dad to put some kind of auxiliary heating/humidification system in there.

Mind if someone answer a rookie question for me - with bananas, the flower keeps growing down and unfolding/unwinding, revealing more and more florets that wil each become a banana, right? And you cut off the entire flower when you have the right amount of bananas/florets you want to try to get to maturity? That's what I've gleaned how growing bananas works. Am I right?

I was surprised to find a bloom and a bunch of bananas on Friday. I will post a pic to see if you can help me ID Trax. This is the third time I have gotten bananas but they have never rippened. My plant has never bloomed this early. I'm hoping they are edible and will ripen.

Dor how lucky can you be I've always thought bananas would be fun to grow but never have tried them. I know I might have to take them in some so nope I don't need to plant them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back