My hands

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

I am sure that living out here where the soil has tons of alkali in it but my hands (mostly my fingers) have gotten raw and sore with cracks that bleed. Has anyone had this problem and what did you use to heal the tender skin.
If you can help I would be tickled pink

Spider_Lily

I have a friend her hand's are alway's dry like that.She started putting vick's salve on her hand's at bed time they look alot better.When mine get's rough I take Vitamin E work's from inside out.Make's my skin feel smoother.:)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sure that living out here where the soil has tons of alkali in it but my hands (mostly my fingers) have gotten raw and sore with cracks that bleed. Has anyone had this problem and what did you use to heal the tender skin.
If you can help I would be tickled pink

I use GoldBond Medicated Body Lotion (Extra-Strength)!
My hands are always sore and cracked after working in the garden! And they do bleed where the skin cracks! It is very painful when that happens!
I tried wearing various brands of non-latex gloves, but they do not last long when rooting around in the soil planting!

Kya D

Thanks I am willing to try bout anything
Ron I have been using single use gloves under my gardening gloves lately too. It seems to help some.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
A friend of mine fixed me up years ago with a can of "bag balm". I did service work and washed my hands many times during any given day and especially in the cold months the skin would crack and bleed. A little bit goes a long way and I still have that original can and it is a bit over half used up. The major ingredient in it is lanolin. It's primary use was once to apply to a cow's udder for relief of chapping, but I believe that the use has long since been extended to skin care for humans to the point it is often now found in regular drug stores and not just farm stores. I just applied some to a crack in my skin on my index finger and put a bandaid over it to keep the ointment applied. By tomorrow I am sure the skin will be healed and soft.

Kya D

Thanks Randy I am very familiar with bag balm and corona ointment I used it years ago I just hadn't remembered it. I know it's full of lanolin.

Bluewolf

bag balm and "Udder Cream"

I have the same problem because of skin allergies

I use bag balm one day and Udder cream the next and alternate till they get better ;)

Hope that helps :D

Kya D

Y'all are just the best I swear I am gonna try them all.
I knew I would get the info I need to relieve my pain.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why or is it because I moved to Texas but the older I get the more I have this dryness problem. I have many different lotions and I use what is closest to me when I put it on. Or maybe it is all the coffee I drink now. Oh well I have used lanolin in the past. It works so I need to find some again.

Kya D

Y'all are sooooo smart I just contacted Corona company and they told me that corona is 50% lanolin so I guess I will try that. I remember using it as a kid growing up when I got cracked hands from being around my old mare. There was no way I was going to quit riding her so Corona healed my hands then.

Kya D

The sweet lady that responded to my email also told me that if I would send her my addy she would send me some samples. I can't wait to try it again

also vasoline works pretty good , i have the worst dry skin i,v ever seen , and in the winter i,m realy a mess , but anyways put on your hands often and at bed time and put gloves on , i dont wear the gloves but my son dose , my feet dry and crack too , so when i put on them i do wear socks .

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never even though of cotton gloves. I just put socks over my hands. But gloves would stay on better.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I found several years ago a great lotion ..it is put out by SHIKAI...and is called Borage Dry Skin Therapy...they have the regular and also a Childrens formula...it is the best ..hubby uses it for his ezama and has no troubles any longer...borage oil is so great...

Kya D

I swear I am going to try everything til something works.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Kya D

Thanks for all the ideas I am still trying stuff. I haven't been to town to buy cotton gloves yet but I'm gonna.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com