My Plant Sale

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last summer I put some plants out for sale on the side of the road for $1 each and sold almost 400 of them. I put some out last weekend and put the price up to $2 this yr and so far I have sold 30 of them. Last yr I sold almost 200 hostas but none so far this yr :( and I got hundreds that I could pot up.
Got to dig some more up today and get them potted up. I dug up some white lilac suckers the other day and got to get them in pots today. Going to put $5 on them and see if they sell. My price is cheaper than Walmart, Lowe's, etc
I looked at their 4" pots to see what their prices are and most are at least $5 for their perennials. Going to have a lobster feed next Sun for my family with some of the money that I make off the plants then the rest of the $ will go towards my oil bill for the winter.
My gardens are so overgrown from not being able to work in them the last few yrs that I've got lots of plants that need to be split up. Put a sign up earlier this yr for plant pots and ppl have dropped me off plenty for this yr and probably enough for next yr too. Took the sign down and ppl are still dropping them off.
Got a yard of compost for $15 and have some left over so using that and some loam I have left over from last yr. It will be all profit for me this yr.

sfishergirl

Sounds like an awesome plan I start tropicals and other house plants and sell them to a local greenhouse It always pays for all of my veggie garden plants. This winter I am making as many landscaping timber planters as possible to sell next year. Got any Blue hostas like Blue angel? They and Persia blue allium are on my list Oh yeah and yucca

Blueaussi

Oh, I would buy your plants if I lived up there! My theory is that if it grows well enough for someone who lives near me to have extras, it's a hardy plant that's gonna do well in this area.

I've mentioned before that I pot up most of my extras to take over to Historic Camden for Market Day. We operate on donations, and one of my selling points is just what I said above.

sfishergirl, what kind of planters are you building out of landscape timbers?

Jules

Good luck with selling your plants Mainey....sounds like a good deal to me too and hopefully your neighbours spread the word!
Just missing one season of not keeping up with the weeds can really set you back ...been there, experienced that ... good luck with that too!

swindy

Mainie what other type of plants are you selling? I might be interested in buying some from you to put around my patio. You know what my area looks like so what do you think would work here. I can send you a check for the postage and the plants. I think a few hostas and a couple of perennials. Maybe cone flower, blackeyed susan and Liatrus.Let me know what you think.and we can arrange time for shiping so I can get them in the ground as soon as they arrive.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laurie,
Sounds like you are doing great. Your prices are fantastic, just look at waht garden shops are asking , you should do very well. I wish you luck.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
As of last night, I have made $89. Not bad for a week....
Sold 1 of my lilac bushes for $5, potted up 5 more last night that I will put out this week.

sunflower3

Your sale is going as well as mine has all summer, people are not buying and I have a greenhouse& nursey business, but most of the plants have just sat here. I put them down by the road for a dollar and still no one is buying them, oh well I will just have to dump them and count it as a lose, as I have had enough watering and caring for them this year. Been at it since march 1st so it is a long time to take care of them all and hauling water to water them everyday is tiring.

swindy

Oh Sunflower how terrible, why do you think they are not selling? Can you donate them to schools or nursing homes or another place like that and write the donation off your taxes. Are your plants annuals or perennials or a mix of both? I feel so bad for you.

sunflower3

I have both annuals and perennials, people would come look and leave with nothing, said they were just looking. I think people weren't spending what they might need later on as if they might get laid off is why. it has been had for people all over and I know even we don't spend unless we have to, hubbys job is questionable right now and we don't know if the place will close down or not, makes you scared, should i buy this or go without and most times it's go without. Anyways, they are there if anyone is driving by help yourself.

sfishergirl

swindy what a great idea about the school sunflower and I need to get together Our school has its own greenhouse. We all donate what we can. and this year I dont have alot to donate out of my own yard but sunflower is right things are starting to finally feel hard here in upstate NY jobs that everyone thought were safe aren't. It has been so cold the growing season hasn't been good either we have harvested almost all of our broccoli already and it only got as big as a soda can before starting to go to seed.

swindy

sfishergirl it is sort of a catch 22. They are saying one of the reasons the economy is having such a hard time recovering is because people aren't spending money and thinking about every penny they do spend. I went to a Mall the other day just to look around after I heard about major price slashing. The sales were unbelievable so I went into Lord and Taylors a high end store I could never afford to shop in and bought 2 August Silk knit tops, the original price was $48.00 marked down to $23.98 with another 50% off I got them for $12.00 each, which is what I would have spend on a cheep top at Target or Walmart. I wish I would have had a couple of hundred $$ to spend on clothes because there were so many things I would have loved to buy. In the past I would have thought nothing of spending a few hundred dollars every couple of months on a clothing shopping trip, and now I had to stop and think about spending that $24.00.
I think the manufactures have to adjust to our new spending habits and realize that we are no longer going to piss away $50 or $60 on a shirt.

Jade

I took my son to JC Penneys the other day and got him some jeans that were marked down from 50 bucks to 3.98. Unbelievable. We have 2 weddings coming up and I am going shopping next week to get some new outfits. I am waiting til last minute because I am still losing weight and don't want to buy anything until I need it.

gardenplanters

Hi,
I start tropicals and other house plants and sell them to a local greenhouse It always pays for all of my veggie garden plants. This winter I am making as many landscaping timber planters as possible to sell next year.

I think a few hostas and a couple of perennials. Maybe cone flower, blackeyed susan and Liatrus.Let me know what you think.and we can arrange time for shiping so I can get them in the ground as soon as they arrive.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com