My veggies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I hope I explained this correctly and made my point.
It took a little while but here is what I discovered..

You now how you get a seed packet and it says… say,... 55 days to harvest , well they clearly or conveniently forgot to tell you that you need to subtract the germination time could be with herbs and lots of flowering plants) 5-28 days (just for the sake of example) they forgot to tell you that they need to be indoors for several weeks to obtain strength(growth) (4-6 weeks perhaps) enough to handle the outdoors so there you have a few more weeks, now...not done deducting;. stay with me... now you have a kale *(lol) Sproutling *(lol) (my favorite for example) and it has 3sets of "TRUE" Leaves" not the tiny ones that you first saw. and you want to bring it outside..Ut Oh cold front and .or sunburn… dig it back out of the ground and get it in a container real quick before you loose your crop... ok so far we have the germination time the growing time to establishing the root system, the transplanting time to a larger container and now...the hardening off time we are to about 9weeks or even better. Hardening off has to Occur or your plants with fall back in growth and delayed for up to a few weeks. That just blew the 55 days out the pot!
You will have germination lets go with =7 days
plus6weeks= 42days,
Plus hardeing off possibly 10 days
Plus 55 days to harvest after that if all goes well including the frost doesn’t sneak up on you ; and you have time to plant on that cloudy day or very early or during sundown.
We now have up to or around 114days or 14weeks and approx.6days before you harvest.
My Point…
Just because they say to plant naturtiums near the plants it isn’t to necessarily to keep the aphids away, from others “deter” is the Magic word here it.
On the contrary it “attracts” them.

Perhaps keep them away by going to them (the naturtiums ).

Now, if they the insects and aphids find something more desirable they will in fact go to those.

Another example!
I planted fever few near my roses because it clearly stated everywhere that they were companions to roses…well the aphids were on my roses and false sunflower perennial instead of the fever few. I pulled them buggers out cut my plant down (which was beautiful ) and the aphids were no longer a problem. sure it attracted them when I hadn’t had them before over there but roses and others were more desirable and that is where the went!

Another example,my friend decided to rid herself of Jap.Beetles she bought the trap I am here to testify I saw her count over 500 in one day! They didn’t keep them out of the garden instead they called every JB in town .She was spraying until she was sore from carrying that thing on her shoulder, she never rid herself of them. I think she used them for color dye she is a spinner

Just because they say companion doesn’t mean deter…it mean that is a preferred plant for that pest.
Artemesia was suppose to companion with collards and kale along with smart weed I have both and tried. I lost crops 2 years in a row the whole thing washed out over a weekend.I picked and inspected nearly 5days a week. Not the weekends unless I had enough for Monday. Well Monday came and if I were a cry baby I would have cried for a half an hour!

Kale

I would like to say thank you for respecting my knowledge I will never lead you astray in any way ever. I know for a simple fact that it is a word game.
I have nothing to gain.They are saying growing them will get the aphids and others to go "to them" not deter them.If you read in books you will find they are companions..what does companions mean...?

I promise they do not work together.

Kale

I do believe you and it is always because to hear it from someone that has been there and done that. I have learned the hard way on some things and don't like bumping my head at all. Thank you again Kale. Mine aren't up yet so it is easy for me to dig my seeds up if I can or as soon as they sprout pull them up.

Dor do a search here and there..
You are quite welcomed:)
It is my pleasure to prevent bumping of heads.:D:D
Don’t be too surprised if you read this someplace else or someone says it in passing.
Thank you for taking my thoughts to heart.

I know something about marigold:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Kale:D

If you're having difficulty with aphids, watch your nitrogen. Plants that are fed high nitrogen fertilizers put out bursts of tender new growth that attracts aphids. Miracle Grow ought to list "aphid attractant" as one of its benefits it's so bad, but any fertilizer that's high nitrogen can turn any plant into aphid bait.

You are so correct Blue!

Fever Few and lemon grass are two of then plants that have the ability fix atmospheric nitrogen.

Kale :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for advice on the Fever Few and the Lemon Grass, Kale. I will have to see if I can get some. I did get some miracle grow. I will watch it from now on. I am going to make some of the spray from CG's recipe and use it at the first sign of aphids.

My squash and cucks are up and really growing with the weather we are having. I thought my peppers were never going to come up but they are!! I am putting some of my basil in with my tomatoes tomorrow. It is getting big enough to break apart now.

This past weekend I planted 2- 75 ft rows of corn. Way more than I need. Also 4 types of beans, 7 types of peppers, and 3 types of tomatoes. By then I was out of time and energy. It rain 4 inches the day after washing alot of seed up to the surface. Forgot to list the herbs I planted which are most likely now in the next county! And it rain 2 inches last night and is still raining. I may be doing all that planting over again

Good Luck with the plating, CG. I am lucky that it is not raining here and I have my seed in raised bed. I don't have as much room as you. I wish I did, or maybe not. LOL. Have fun with everything.

I just set all my peat pots of veggies outside to harden them off. All of them germinated except Large red cherry tomatoes, and sweet green bell peppers. I guess I will buy them. I think I will try to sell a few of them since I planted 3 or more seeds in each peat pot. I will ask the HOA if I can sell them from my driveway without any problems. I can get some small peat pots from the $ store of regular sized ones at Walmart. What do you all think I should sell them for? May $1 each. Now I am going to start some perennials. I did well on my corkscrew vine and Moonvines last year so I am starting a lot more I can dig up some I have growing in my gardens and sell those too. I need to run to HD to get some potting soil.

Laurie did good with selling plants for a dollar. And that's still a bargain.

, and sweet green bell peppers.

You may know this already, but a green bell pepper is an unripe bell pepper. All bell peppers ripen to a color like red, orange, or yellow.

Sorry, the pepper geek in me just won't let things like that pass.

One time my dad had some serranos that had turned red. My son and his friend dared each other to try it. LOL It wasn't funny to them but everyone else was cracking up. He laughs about it now.

Pepper Pedant Warning!

If you want good flavor, all but a very few peppers should be allowed to ripen. Sadly ripe peppers don't ship well, so grocery stores have conditioned consumers to expect inferior and unripe bells, jalapenos, serranos, and cayennes.

The peak of heat isn't always related to ripeness, in some peppers the green immature pepper is actually hotter. Some of the new superhots don't really heat up until fully ripe. And of course, husbandry practices and variables like rainfall can all effect the heat of individual peppers dramatically, even on the same plant.

Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate the information, cause when it comes to peppers, I can't help it. I'm trying to learn to be more sensitive to that glassy-eyed look people get when I start nattering on about peppers.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back