My veggies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I planted my squash, cukes, and beans today! I harvested 2 head of the bibb lettuce, have to harvest the other 4. I will put in some more of the beans that I have sprouted.

The sun is really warming up. Things are going to take off! :D:D

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sure wished I had a long growing season like you. I've got another 2 months before I can plant any tender plants outside. You'll be eating fresh veggies as I'm starting to plant mine in the garden

Dor

I planted 2 Celebrity and 1 Roma Mama tomatoes today. I will plant my bush beans, speckled butter beans, beets, squash, naturtiums and marigolds by the end of the week. It supposed to rain tomorrow and Wednesday. I need to harden off my other veggies that I planted.

richnkim

I planted 2 Celebrity and 1 Roma Mama tomatoes today. I will plant my bush beans, speckled butter beans, beets, squash, naturtiums and marigolds by the end of the week. It supposed to rain tomorrow and Wednesday. I need to harden off my other veggies that I planted.

Dor, my tomatoes are celebrity, one of my nasturtiums is coming up!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim,
You go girl. I havrvested several heads this past weekend. Enough to give to my son and DIl too. Then last night I cut several bunches of parsley and made a huge thin of Tabhouli. Flea beetles hit my new tomatoe seedlings I will have to go buy hot peppers to make some spray, but it looks like it will be a good year.

Laurie,
:( you need to come back south. But you have the advantage of being able to grow beautiful flowers that won't survive our hot summers!

K

Kale

No veggies here yet:(

Glad there are some that are eating bibs!*lol

Dor! as far as Nasturtium, they are a beautiful plant but ...
If my memory serves me correctly... Nasturtium and aphids go hand and hand.
Roses and aphids do not! Plant them a mile apart if you can! Or surround your roses with basils, mints (potted of course) and whatever other herbs you grow..Nasturtium also get leaf miners.. ..(larvae) which can be either of-.or many kinds/ small black flies, sawflies, beetles,and moths which all are known to carry virus'. Veggies and the above pest may give you a hard time..

Kale

Dor

Thanks Kale. I will keep the nasturiums away from my roses will plant some basil and mints in containers. I have recipe for homemade organic and will spray it on the naturitiums when they get large enough to keep the aphids and the leaf miners away.

richnkim

No veggies here yet:(

Glad there are some that are eating bibs!*lol

Dor! as far as Nasturtium, they are a beautiful plant but ...
If my memory serves me correctly... Nasturtium and aphids go hand and hand.
Roses and aphids do not! Plant them a mile apart if you can! Or surround your roses with basils, mints (potted of course) and whatever other herbs you grow..Nasturtium also get leaf miners.. ..(larvae) which can be either of-.or many kinds/ small black flies, sawflies, beetles,and moths which all are known to carry virus'. Veggies and the above pest may give you a hard time..

Kale

I planted some Nasturtiums in with my tomatoes. :eek: I read some where that it helps keep the tomatoe horn worm away. :confused: I will pull them out right now!!!

Dor

I have checked several sites including my county extension office site today and it says to grow both naturtiums and marigolds to keep away pests. I will just watch mine for now and if I see a problem I will pull them up. I called the Master Gardeners office today and talked to a Mr. Williams and he advised me it would help. I don't know so I will just be very careful. Thanks Kale for the heads up. I didn't grow any last year but I didn't have alot of tomatoes either.

Last edited:

richnkim

Hey Dor, I looked at the links in the "companion planting" thread and they all say it is fine for the nasturtiums. I think we will be ok but still watching.

Dor

You are welcome Kim. I looked at more than one Kim and they all listed nasturtiums. We should still watch and pull them at the first sign of a problem. Kale has a lots of knowlege and I appreciate all she does to help us here.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com