My Voodoo lily

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Trax

And other house plants I'm growing. But for now, the Voodoo lily. :D I wanted to start a thread to monitor my progress with this plant and it's progressing faster than I expected. I just noticed today that it sprouted and I planted the corm almost 4" deep 2 weeks ago. That's fast and the stem is thick and almost as hard as wood.
All I know so far is that they like part to full shade, light watering, monthly feeding, and they have to be protected in Zone 7 since they're tropical. Also, they send up the flower before they send up leaves so what I'm seeing is prolly the flower stalk.

Here's a photo I shot today. The stem is about 1" tall.

14680638703_87cf413fd1_o.jpg

More later as it grows! :D

Trax

It will be fun to see how it grows and develops!!

It's def exciting! :D I've never seen a flower with a spotted stem, looks really cool! I read that they send up a flower before they send up their leaves. I don't know how long it takes for it to flower, I just hope it doesn't flower this winter. :eek: I wouldn't wanna put it outside in the cold or smell up the house either, lol.

Trax

Sorry I couldn't keep up with my own thread but it was a seriously messed up summer and fall. But now that things are beginning to chill (pun), I have time for plants again.
The 1st sprouting consisted of very long, slender, and speckled stems with large 3-fingered leaves and I wish I'd taken some photos. It's perfect as a hanging-pot plant. But the next sprouting will be the flower. I messed up and left the pot by a window with no protection from the cold glass so I was very surprised when I dug up the corm and it was still alive! Not only alive and in good condition, it also has three small new corms budding off the sides.

15865168501_6108170824_b.jpg

I potted the corm and it's in a warmer location in the house. All I can do, for now, is wait and see how long it takes for it to flower. Tbh, I hope it doesn't flower before spring! That could be seriously inconvenient!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They normally go into a dormant period during the colder months...need to be kept cool and dry during their rest period.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com