Nectarine Tree Dying?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

S

SaveMyPlants

image.jpg
image.jpg
I think I accidentally killed my nectarine tree, or rather, am killing it. The fruit had some gross yellow-green blotches on it, the leaves look like they had been shot with a BB gun and also had spots. So, using pictures and a website on nectarines, I diagnosed it as bacterial spot. I bought some Southern Ag liquid copper fungicide. The directions say to use 4 tablespoons in 128 oz (1 gallon) of water and dilute it with 2 more gallons. I only have a 56 oz tank so I set up a ratio of 4/128 * x/56 and cross multiplied to get 1.75. I sprayed the tree with 56oz of water mixed with 1 + 3/4 liquid copper over two days on May 6th and May 12th. Since that time the spots have not gotten better, and some of the leaves turned orange. What should I do? Someone please help, I love nectarines and I just got the tree (about a month ago?). I would hate for it to die on me

Last edited by a moderator:
The copper compounds are used in dormant sprays and are supposed to be sprayed on during the dormant season when the tree is bare. I think you are probably on the right track but the timing is off. Thorough watering will help dilute any of the copper compound but you may not get any decent fruit this year. I am no expert though and I think you would do well to check out your county extension office and see what their take on the problem is.

image.jpg
The county extension said to use neem oil. Meanwhile I watered it and the fruit is worse. The blotchy yellow/green is now the dominant color of the fruit and one nectarine looks like it was sliced with a knife, about an inch wide. It looks like a knife cut, only instead of golden inside, like a nectarine should be, it looks brown

Sorry for the poor quality pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pull all the infected fruit off the tree and dispose of them!
All you can do is get the blight under control so you can have a crop next year.
Using neem is good for fungi and bacterial infections. Best used in the evening, or early morning!
You will need to reapply according to the directions.

Hi

I would check that your problem is not Peach Leaf Curl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_curl

If that's not the problem then it may just be that the roots cannot replace the water the leaves are transperating in the sudden wamth.

Keep the watering up and if possable give the tree some shade from direct sunlight.
When the trees roots are not big enough to replace the water that the leaves are ' sweating ' off ..they can dessicate as a result.
In extreme cases it may need the top reduced to give the plant a chance.

Good luck
icon_confused.gif

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back