need an advice

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mocropot

Hi, I am new to herbs and would like to try this year. I am in Tampa FL. What would you recommend for semi-sun (more shady) location?:confused:

Thank you,
Helen

Betcha Crabber can tell you, Mo. She lives down in that part of the world and I am pretty sure she does some herbs. I have a few on the back porch in containers. The mint I have in one container actuall jumped into another container that was fairly close. The wind probably carried some seeds over.

I grow basil, lavender, rosemary, sage, dill, cilantro, and a few others in semi-sun . We have a very hot and humid climate in SC and all does well for me.
Good luck with your herbs Mo.

Thank you Randy, I just hope she will jump in. I really want to try in the ground. I got rosemary, dill and parsley in container, because of rabbits and raccoons I can not put it in the ground, and they eat everything.

The seeds I've grown germinated well for me. The lavender and rosemary, I bought small plants and transplanted them outside. I've rooted babies from these by cutting a small limb, remove the bottom leaves and placing the twig in potting soil. Keep it watered and waaalaaa..a new plant.
I'm going to try growing a few herb seeds with the winter sewn method. I think that would work well.

Almost all the herbs will do well in Fl in semi sun. When we get to the hottest part of the year they actually prefer semi shade. The sun is just too hot and burns them. I have several basils, and both Culantro and cilantro in full shade. They really can't take the heat for too long. Parsley can be kept almost year round in almost full sun but does really well in full shade. Rosemary is more of a cool weather plant here so shade is fine. Sage likes the sun if it can get shade some point during our 12 hour summer days.
Did you have specific herbs in mind??

Thank you Crabbergirl! No, I do not have any specific, just want to try something. I put
dill, rosemary and parsley seeds in container and some are already germinated, BUT I will not be able to put dill and parsley outside because it will be eaten by animals :).

I planted two rosemary plants last spring in one of thos half-barrels and they have done well and survived the winter without damage.

way to go...rosemary seeds can be a slow germination...I love to cook with it on fish and potatoes

Hubby will take a limb of rosemary and place it in the cavity of a hen or turkey for baking. It adds a nice flavor to the meat.

Thank you guys for such a great tips. You know I found out yesterday searching the web this herb is very good against flees on animals. Can not wait till it grow and I can start to use it.

There is a house close to my brother-in-law's place in California that has multiple rosemary plants as shrubbery along the road. There is about 60 feet of solid rosemary or more. I just have two plants, but that's all I need anyway. Next time we go down to Granite Bay though, I think I will take a picture of all that rosemary. I go for a daily walk when we go for a visit and I pass that place on my walk.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back