Need Help! - Lime Tree near death

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

formagaritas

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster and in a dire position regarding my lime tree.

A little background - I received this lime tree as a gift about 10 years ago. For the first 5 years, it was indoors all of the time. For the last 5 years, I've been putting it outside for about 4-5 months during the summer months (I live near Toronto). It has continued to grow well and when I brought it indoors this fall, it was over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet in circumference. It was planted in a 12 inch pot.
Normally when I bring it in for the winter, it does experience some leaf drop but usually very minor (between 5-10% of the leaves).
This winter, the leaf drop was quite dramatic beginning shortly after the new year. In the first 6 weeks of the year, it lost about 35-45% of the leaves. I removed the plant from the pot to examine the roots and found some root rot on the outer roots. I trimmed away all of the rotted roots that I could and replanted in a slightly larger pot with new triple mix. I also added a seedling heating mat under the pot as it felt as though the pot might have been too cold due to the frigid winter we have had. For the first 3-4 weeks, the tree seemed to do well with virtually no leaf drop. Over the last 2 weeks the leaf drop has ramped up dramatically and this tree now seems to be hanging on by a thread.

I'm attaching a couple photos of the remaining leafs, all of which now seem to have brown marks on them. I have no idea what this might be and I'm pretty much out of ideas.
Help!
20150405_105853.jpg
20150405_105911.jpg
20150405_105927.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a good case of scale. Are leaves sticky? This sticky sap is the the result of scales sucking on the the leaves.
I'd take a few leaves to your local garden centre and ask them what you need to erradicate this pest.....If I believe right, scales can attack the roots system too......A complete systemic type pesticide might be in order.....if this product is available.

Here's some info that will help:http://homeguides.sfgate.com/treatment-scale-citrus-tree-22388.html
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/lime/problems-lime-trees.htm

Neem oil seems to be the safest to use.....

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me know how it goes......please follow the directions and the frequency of application.
Remember to spray the undersides of the leaves too!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com