Need some help with my Rose bushes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

20150528_153438.jpg All of the leafs on my rose bush look like this. They are either black or have a white powdery look to them. Any ideas on whats going on?
20150528_153602.jpg When the roses bloom they have black spots on them or the leaf start turning black. I am getting large blooms (unlike the photo).
I have some stems that are covered with leafs. Should I leave the on there?
Last question, Some of the ends have multiple rose blooms on them. When that happens none of them bloom well. How do I prevent that?

Thanks,

Looks like a combination of problems, powdery mildew, and black spot!
Both can be treated using a fungicide....
Powdery mildew occures if the foliage lacks air circulation and of the foliage remains wet over a long period ogf time.
Black spot is from spores that are splashed up from the soil from rain fall.
Remove all damaged foliage and destroy it....do not put them in the composter......
Use a mulch to cove the soil to prevent the spores from being splashed up onto the plant....you will need to remove and dispose of the mulch each spring and replace it with fresh mulch.....cedar or pine bark works well.
For the posedery mildew.....do not wet the foliage when watering.....use a fungicide ....follow directions as a regular basis until the problem clears up....

Remember to space your plants so air can circulate around them; when watering water the soil and keep the plants dry.....this will help reduce the proliferation of diseases on your roses as well as other perennial and annual plants!

Thank you for the reply!
This rose bush was here when I moved in. It was planted at at the corner of a garage and porch so the circulation/shade problem may be unavoidable. It gets morning sun only. I will mulch around it first chance I get. I will also get some fungicide! Any suggestion on type of fungicide?
I try to prune the leafs from clumping up to much so that it can get the airflow needed. Can you comment on the pruning that I am doing currently based off this photo. I know that this plant has the potential to be wonderful. I am going to do my best to get it there.
20150528_153329.jpg

Get one used for Black Spot and Powdery Mildew....there are a few general purpose ones available.
You might think about moving the bush in late winter , when dorment, to a new area with more sun and air movement!
You will neeed to trim it down to 1/3 of its growth in late Fall to help it out, when and if, you decide to move it!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back