Need some input for empty spot

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Boo

We just installed a sprinkler system and sod in my backyard. However to make everything work we had to change my layout. Now I need some help with filling in some space.
Backyardidea.jpg

I need to plant something in the red square. It cant be something too tall for on the right side is my living room windows and i dont want to block the view. The pots along the house are also staying where they are. The spot gets full sun. I live in zone 9

curbhopper

My solution to everything is varieties of hosta. I learned this on here (and I have some) some hosta rally are fragrant. You could put marigolds (they keep the bugs away). Nasturiums are eadible and really pretty and you can throw a bundle of seeds in there and have flowers in no time at all ~ where is zone 9? North or south? ~ Curbie

Attachments

• _welcome.jpg
    _welcome.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 316

curbhopper

Ask Randy b/c you get a lot of rain , right? We were in San Francisco once. Lovely area. We went to that mall downtown that has many levels. We stayed by Pier (is it 7 or 9) and rode on the double decker merry-go-round. My hubby feel in love with sea lions. ~ Curbie :)

Boo

Not that close. Were we are at, during the summer we get temps up to 110 and in the winter we do get rain, but not too much heavy rain.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Boo! Welcome to our forum!
Someone should pop in who may have some great ideas!
I'm in the lower Great Lakes area so I do not have any ideas for your 'hot' climate!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Boo,
I was thinking like Curbie until I saw your area. Hostas will not be good unless it is full shade. I live in Florida( zone 8/9/10 depending on the year :rolleyes:) and we have some of the same weather issues. You might want to try Hibiscus, plumbego will do well and you can control how high they grow. Is it a shrub you want?? I have a lot of low plant ideas. Aztec grass is variegated and grows in nice clumps you can add other things around for color. Shrimp plants have a lot of color and draw hummingbirds and butterflies. Are you thinking perennials or annuals?
I know a lot of questions but it will help with suggestions.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
i use to gardeb in Hayward to help my sister out...hosta's would not do well in that area..Shrimp plan would do well as butterfly bushes... if you are looking for annuals...sunflowers zinna's cosmos...you would have a very nice cutting garden

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Low maintance can be a good thing!
I would suggest a cactus garden! You can use small growing forms along with various succulents!
But then again, they would not be safe plants if children are around!

curbhopper

I keep thinking about this b/c I keep looking at where the windows are. I have a butterfly bush and a crape myrtle. If you did a crape myrtle and planted zinnias and I think marigolds would survive? Color and texture are , at least for me, the key to a beautiful garden. Do you have a nursery close by? ~ Curbie

Boo

Thanks for all the input so far. Not getting too confused yet.
For the space i can put both perennials and annuals. The picture that i uploaded only shows have the length of the spot, so i would have room for both. And a cactus garden would work, but my little cousins like to visit, so that wouldnt work too well. I do like the idea of the shrimp plants. My grandmother had mentioned trying a Double Peony. Do any of you know much about this plant?
Thanks again for the help

Kya D

Hi Boo
I have peonies and mine are all in full sun are hardy to at least zone 5 and are easy to grow. They come in a ton of colors red, pink, white, yellow, bi-colors. Singles and doubles

Last edited:

curbhopper

I just picked some peonies today and thought about that. I woudl think to get things that bloom at different times of the season would be great and cactus have gorgeous blooms. ~ Curbie

Tracey

I think some Zinca (Periwinkle) would be a good choice. Low maintenance, colorful and they love the heat... I'm in zone 8b South Alabama and they love it here. Marigolds are also a good idea, if you like them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com