Never fail pie crust

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

NEVER FAIL PIE CRUST
1 c. solid shortening
3 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
5 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. vinegar
Cut shortening into flour and salt. Combine egg, water and vinegar. Pour this liquid mixture all at once into flour mixture. Blend with a fork. Makes 1 double crust pie and one single crust pie

richnkim

Sounds good. My grandma used to make a crust with vinegar in it but no egg. I will have to try it? Thanks.

Dor

I am going to try your pie crust too Dawn. I have some of Kim's chilling now, my sweet potatoes are cookies.

Kya D

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.
I probably shouldn't say this but I use lard.

Dor

I bought lard today for my pie crusts Dawn. I didn't use them earlier but I am on the 2nd batch. I am going to use half lard and half crisco and see how they come out.

Dor

Dorothy's Sweet Potato Pie

5 small to medium sized sweet potatoes or Louisiana yams
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2-2 cups sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 large eggs
2-9 inch deep dish pie shells unbaked
3/4 tsp allspice,
1/2 tsp nutmeg, and cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tstp lemon extract
1 1/2 sticks softened butter

Wash peel and cube your sweet potatoes. Place in a dutch oven, cover with water, add salt, and boil on medium high until tender. When sweet potatoes are tender, drain and pour into a mixing bowl. Add butter and beat until all lumps are removed. Add sugar 1 cup at a time and your eggs. Add evaporated milk, vanilla, lemon, and seasonings. I add more sugar at the end if needed. Pour into pie shells and back on 350 for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

I used richnkim's pie crust recipe on these. I will let you all know how they go over tomorrow. My friend was here when I was rolling out the crust and she wants me to make her a pie.

Attachments

• tn_Dorothy's sweet potato pie 001.JPG
    tn_Dorothy's sweet potato pie 001.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 384

Dor

Thank you ladies. Sweet potato is one of my favorite pies.

Does anyone have a pecan pie that uses evaporated milk? I like the creamy texture of it but haven't been able to get the recipe.

Kya D

Dor I found this one is it the one you wanted?

Creamy Pecan Pie
3-4 cup sugar
1 1-2 cups pecan pieces**
3 TBLS.All purpose flour
3-4 cup PET evaporated milk
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 TSP vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 deep dish frozen pie crust

1. In medium bowl, combine sugar and flour. Stir in corn syrup. Whisk in eggs

2. Stir in pecans, evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into frozen pie crust.

3. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven on preheated baking sheet for 50 minutes or until firm. Cool on wire rack.

Dor

Dor I found this one is it the one you wanted?

Creamy Pecan Pie
3-4 cup sugar
1 1-2 cups pecan pieces**
3 TBLS.All purpose flour
3-4 cup PET evaporated milk
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 TSP vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 deep dish frozen pie crust

1. In medium bowl, combine sugar and flour. Stir in corn syrup. Whisk in eggs

2. Stir in pecans, evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into frozen pie crust.

3. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven on preheated baking sheet for 50 minutes or until firm. Cool on wire rack.

Dawn, thank you so much. I am going to make it tomorrow. I have to make more pie crust. I will get up early in the morning to do it. By the way, Kim's crust is delicious. I pinched a crumb from one of the pies.

Kya D

I am guessing the milk and the sugar are 3/4 c. I just copied it when I found one that has evap.. milk

Dor

My aunt made one at Christmas that was so good. I asked for the recipe but she said she had combined two different ones. One with milk and one without. It tasted really creamy and not so sweet.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com