New Bromeliad

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I picked up this little guy cheap ( I like cheap :D ) hes a Guzmania Amaranth burgundy, he has 3 pups so I think it will grow just like any other brom and will go out in the shade house next spring.

new brom 001.jpg

new brom 003.jpg

No need for seeds. If they are happy they will grow. I have mine outside and before last years horrible winter I had , no kidding , 1000's of them. I was actually giving them away as I thinned. But last year's winter took out most of them. Now I am down to maybe a couple 100. They like shady conditions, moist rich soil and temps moderate to warm, but not blistering hot, not hot direct sun either their leaves will burn. They can withstand cold but not freezing for extended periods of time.
I will see if I can find some of my old pictures to post for you. If not I will take some next weekend for you. ( I get home from work and it is dark:) so it will have to be on the weekend)

I wish I could grow them out side year round like you do but the winters here are way too cold, I would love to see your plants, I also have a match stick brom that can grow out side in the right temps,

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back