New but old cook book

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

While going through boxes I came home with after my Mom passed away a few years back, lots of old cook books, but the one I found in a plastic bag was well used and kind of out dated some time in the early 50, when reading it was telling about a test on weight gain for kids caloric requirements " based on measurements of more than 167,024 white boys and girls with out serious defeats" the line show you how out dated it is, the whole book its about planing healthy meals,, I don't know whats healthy about all the salt and sugar they put in some of there meals, but some of the recipe that I want to try but will have to cut the salt down or replace it with some thing else, its going to be fun time in the kitchen this winter, now to go through the rest of the book, never know what Mom stuffed in these books

alwasy fun to find old books...I hope you will share some of the recipes you end up modifing...

The old cookbooks are always the best UNLESS they tell you to bake in a brisk or quick oven.
So far I don't know what that temp. is

I have a 1948 Culinary Arts Institute cooking encyclopedia that Is my bible

I also have a 1959 Mary Margaret McBride encyclopedia of cooking
deluxe illustrated edition

it's 4 inches thick and has "pegs" for the binding got it at a Johnny Appleseed Festival 6 years ago for $5 brought it home and neatly taped up the spine
it's awsome the pictures help alot

I also have a 1953 Better Homes and gardens cookbook..(you know the one with the red and white checkered pattern)
It was my Gannyma's

I also have a bunch of those "Church ladies" and "PTA" cookbooks from when the women were really active in those sorts of things

But I collect old cookbooks plus I like most of the recipes cuz it's real food
and not this processed stuff..I've been havin hankerins for some of the old time classics and some of the weird stuff that I liked as a kid that no one else would touch (except Grampy)

so I know your gonna have alot of fun this winter "playing" with that book!! :D

Blue, I think if I had the room for more books I would collect more cook books. I think my fav cook book would be The American home cook book 1932, I've use lots of the recipes, its great for soup recipes.

Blue, I think if I had the room for more books I would collect more cook books. I think my fav cook book would be The American home cook book 1932, I've use lots of the recipes, its great for soup recipes.

HA! I don't really have the room either!! I have 4 bookcases in here
"What walls?"

one at the top of the stairs 2 at the bottom books piled up here and there books stacked along one side of the stairs and probably 20-30 boxes of books still in my storage space!!and I still buy more

I have almost as many cookbooks as I do garden references!!!

*surprised BF has never said anything* :p

I have a lot of cookbooks to but my favorite one is the one I bought from one of those door-to-door salemans in 1960 when I was first married. It's kinda ragged now but I learned how to cook, can veggies, make preserves, jams, jellies and candy. I use it more than any that I have. It's about 4" thick.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back