New Potatos

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

I had my first new potatoes from the garden today. I was really suprised. When we planted them there was an old roll of hay in the field and we covered the rows with the hay. Buford was checking them today and when he pulled the hay back there were the potatoes laying on top of the ground. They were sorta big and I wanted some little ones so I dug around with a trowel and found some smaller ones. They sure were good to. Now I need some green beans to go with them.

Last edited:

Bernie

I LOVE new potatoes. My father grew them. He would cook the little ones in a big pot over an outdoor fire for the PIGS!!!!!!!!!! OMG I thought and still think that was a crime. When Dad sat them aside to cool as soon as I could touch them I would pick out a bunch and eat them like candy. When I grow them I don't let them get big. I will be planting some soon. I love to boil a ham hock add the taters when they are done I add green beans. OMG I'm drooling. I can't wait.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bernie I am drooling as well. That is exactly like I prepare my potatoes and string beans.

Do you peel your potatoes or scrape the peeling off the potatoes?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats! I'll come to your house for dinner;) I just spent time pulling every root crop from the garden. It's all rotting because we are so wet. Your doing better than our commercial growers...the price of spuds is going to go up guys better get busy and plant!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Dad used to make sure that we had new potatoes when they were ready. Mom would cook them with peas too. They are so tasty.

Dor

I LOVE new potatoes. My father grew them. He would cook the little ones in a big pot over an outdoor fire for the PIGS!!!!!!!!!! OMG I thought and still think that was a crime. When Dad sat them aside to cool as soon as I could touch them I would pick out a bunch and eat them like candy. When I grow them I don't let them get big. I will be planting some soon. I love to boil a ham hock add the taters when they are done I add green beans. OMG I'm drooling. I can't wait.

That is how I prepare my fresh string beans and my canned and frozen ones too when I don't have fresh. My mouth is watering.

Maggie

I think it's early for potatoes. I don't remember ever having them this early. Mine are the red potatoes this year. I like them the best. My green beans haven't started producing yet so I'm going to buy some from farmers market tomorrow and have them together along with meatloaf and cornbread. The next day I'll have them with peas. Yum-Yum. Wish you all could have dinner with me.

Last edited:

Bernie

Bernie I am drooling as well. That is exactly like I prepare my potatoes and string beans.

Do you peel your potatoes or scrape the peeling off the potatoes?

I eat the peels and all unless they get seperated then I put that aside and keep on eating. I like the red skinned ones best. BTW I forgot to mention corn bread cake is a must with this dish. :) Now I'm drooling all over again. LOL

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I like to do is make parsley potatoes. Just cube and boil potatoes , drain , add enough butter to just lightly coat hot potatoes, then toss in chopped parsley and coat to taste. My family loves that.

Tim like to cook broccoli floweretts with the potatoes and then mash them with the potatoes just like reg mashed. They are really good too.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com