New to astilbe

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sranna

I'm a fairly new gardener and last spring I planted astilbe in our shade hosta garden to try to add some color. I had leafy green come up from the ground, but it never rose above ground level. It basically spread out along the ground, and never put out any shoots. I know that the first year may not produce blooms, but I wasn't expecting it to stay at ground level. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestion? I thought I planted according to directions. Could this be caused by planting too deeply? Just looking for suggestions to prevent the same from happening next year.
Thanks

Hi sranna.
Welcome to our forum!
Astilbes are perennial, and being newly planted they usually do not flower the first year.
Astilbes can be a bit finicky as to how deeply they are planted....the crown of the plant needs to be level with the soil surface.
You may need to dig them and reset them a bit higher!

Ron

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back