New Toy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

That is awful that someone hit you while you were already down,Spiderlily. Things are getting really bad everywhere...we broke down and bought a security system here because of all of the break ins. Its such a pain though, I keep forgetting and setting the thing off...I am sure that ADT hates me. At least they have been able to reach me by phone and they haven't actually sent the Sheriff...that would be embarassing.

It doesn't matter what I do, or the depth of the tines...the thing bounces and takes off so you end up running behind the thing or being drug until you run into something or it falls over. If I could just let go when it starts to get away...but something in my brain locks my hands on those handles and won't let go. Maybe because the clay here is like cement, but until you go over it about twenty times, it is like a rodeo. I think taking those clips out though will turn off the gear that self propels it so it will stay in one spot and just till instead of taking off on me...its worth a try anyway. Gonna wait until I am not home alone to try it though...lol!! I should video it...may win some money on that funny home video show.

I know the feeling, SM. Instinct tell us to hang on but it will stop if we let go. I have hung on hundreds of time, I am sure.

Smelly your problems sound like some of mine with the tiller. I have a big tiller and it whipped me good until I got the soil softer but it took several seasons to do it. Your posting made me laugh cause I could just see you and me, that clay soil is so bad yes it is like cement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smelly your story is the reason I stay with my small tiller and leave the big tiller to somebody else. I like my 22 lb. tiller. I drag it around instead of it dragging me.

Yeah I bet it is alot easier to handle, but when I asked about getting a smaller one...was told that it could not handle our soil. Once I get the soil conditioned with the monster...I would like to get a smaller one to use.

I used my mantis last night and today and I'm feeling it. Should of had my brother use the big one first on it but I didn't want to bother him so used my mantis. My body is feeling it this afternoon. Moved about a yard of compost and have the garden and planters ready to plant tomorrow. Npw time for a nice hot shower and go check out this store that is advertising Levi jeans for $6. Hope you all have fun with your tillers

Ugghh...the little ones hurt you too??? I think maybe I will just stick with the hoe. Used it for about three hours today and my back and hands are sore but at least I didn't get drug.

WOW - that is quite the machine Smelly....I have a Mantis and just love it! It is nice to have the independence of your own tiller to do what you want , when you want! Enjoy :)

Hi SM I often thought about getting a tiller too, then I happened to see a neighbour wrestling with his and promptly changed my mind:) My land is also heavy clay so I eventually decided raised beds were the way to go, I spread a lot of gypsum around to help break up the clay soil but it took a long time before it worked. Good luck with your little red beast and can't wait to see the video!:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back